Current:Home > NewsPrince William Misses Godfather's Memorial Service Due to "Personal Matter" -FutureFinance
Prince William Misses Godfather's Memorial Service Due to "Personal Matter"
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 20:03:47
Prince William has stepped back from attending the memorial service for his late godfather King Constantine of Greece.
Kensington Palace announced in a Feb. 27 statement obtained by NBC News that the Prince of Wales was no longer able to go to the service at Windsor Castle's St. George's Chapel due to a "personal matter."
The Palace has not provided further details on the circumstances surrounding the private issue. However, it's understood that William's wife Kate Middleton—who's been recovering from the abdominal surgery she underwent in mid-January—is doing well.
Still, several other members of the British royal family were there to honor King Constantine, who died in January 2023 at the age of 82. Queen Camilla, Princess Anne, her husband Vice Admiral Sir Timothy Laurence, her daughter Zara Tindall and her husband Mike Tindall were among the attendees as were Prince Andrew, his ex-wife Sarah Ferguson, their daughter Princess Beatrice and her husband Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi.
However, William's dad King Charles III was not in attendance. Members of the British royal family have been going to events on his behalf as he takes a step back from public-facing duties amid his treatment for cancer, with his diagnosis being announced earlier this month.
"I think what we're going to see [is] senior working members of the royal family coming together," royal correspondent Sharon Carpenter previously told E! News, "and probably to a great extent sharing responsibilities so the complete burden doesn't fall on Prince William."
Although, it's not uncommon for British monarchs to have family members attend funerals on their behalf. According to the BBC, Queen Elizabeth II would often have her husband Prince Philip attend funerals on her behalf during their lifetimes.
To see more royal news from this year, keep reading.
While King Charles III was in the hospital for his benign prostate enlargement procedure, the royal family member was diagnosed with cancer.
"His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties," Buckingham Palace said Feb. 5. "Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual.The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure. He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible."
The Duchess of York's rep said in a statement on Jan. 21 that Sarah was recently diagnosed with malignant melanoma, an aggressive form of skin cancer. Several months prior, she underwent a single mastectomy to treat breast cancer.
On Jan. 14, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark made history as she officially abdicated the throne, handing the crown over to her son, now known as King Frederik the 10th.
Kensington Palace announced on Jan. 17 that Kate Middleton underwent planned abdominal surgery and was set to remain in the hospital for 10 to 14 days.
"Based on the current medical advice," the Palace said, "she is unlikely to return to public duties until after Easter."
Amid Kate's recovery, Prince William postponed a number of engagements as he supported his family, including the couple's three children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.
Shortly after Kate's hospitalization was made public, Buckingham Palace shared that Charles "has sought treatment for an enlarged prostate."
"His Majesty's condition is benign and he will attend hospital next week for a corrective procedure," the statement added. "The King’s public engagements will be postponed for a short period of recuperation."
Princess Claire and Prince Felix of Luxembourg welcomed son Balthazar Felix Karl on Jan. 7, the first royal baby of the New Year!
(E! and NBC News are both part of the NBCUniversal family).
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (81611)
Related
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Pakistani transgender activists will appeal Shariah court ruling against law aimed at protecting them
- Catastrophic flooding in Italy leaves 9 dead, forces thousands to evacuate
- Allow TikTok's Diamond Lips Trend to Make You the Center of Attention
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Step Inside Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel's Date Night at SZA's Concert
- He's the 'unofficial ambassador' of Montana — and isn't buying its TikTok ban
- See Lady Gaga Dressed as Harley Quinn on Joker: Folie à Deux Film Set
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- Robert Gates criticizes White House for being slow to approve weapons to Ukraine
Ranking
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- Prepare for next pandemic, future pathogens with even deadlier potential than COVID, WHO chief warns
- Harry Styles and Emily Ratajkowski Seen Kissing in Tokyo
- Photos show Kim Jong Un and his daughter inspecting military spy satellite
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Reese Witherspoon's Draper James Drops Size-Inclusive Swimwear Collection
- Selena Gomez and Zayn Malik Are Raising Eyebrows After Their Rumored Outing
- Why Jason Ritter Finds Wife Melanie Lynskey's Yellowjackets Success So Satisfying
Recommendation
Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
5 questions about the new streaming service Max — after a glitchy launch
Woman who killed rapist while defending herself gets 6 years in Mexican prison: If I hadn't done it I would be dead today
Discovery of shipwreck off the coast of Australia solves 50-year-old maritime mystery
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
Pentagon, Justice Department investigate as secret military documents appear online
Sephora 24-Hour Flash Sale: 50% Off Buxom, Benefit Cosmetics, It Cosmetics, and More
Martin Amis, acclaimed British author, dies at 73