Current:Home > reviewsManhattan D.A. says he does "not oppose" a 30-day delay of Trump's "hush money" trial -FutureFinance
Manhattan D.A. says he does "not oppose" a 30-day delay of Trump's "hush money" trial
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 03:08:08
Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg told a judge Thursday that his office is willing to delay the upcoming trial of former President Donald Trump by a month, a stunning turn of events just 11 days before proceedings in the "hush money" case were set to begin. The trial is currently scheduled to start March 25.
Attorneys for Trump in January subpoenaed the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, which on March 4 turned over more than 73,000 pages of documents. The office turned over more documents Wednesday, according to Bragg's filing.
"Yesterday, the USAO produced approximately 31,000 pages of additional records and represented that there will be another production of documents by next week," wrote Bragg, who said the documents included material his office requested more than a year ago. "Based on our initial review of yesterday's production, those records appear to contain materials related to the subject matter of this case."
Bragg wrote that the U.S. Attorney "previously declined to provide" the material.
Trump's lawyers asked for a 90 day delay as a result, or dismissal of the case.
"Although the People are prepared to proceed to trial on March 25, we do not oppose an adjournment in an abundance of caution and to ensure that defendant has sufficient time to review the new materials," Bragg wrote. "We therefore notify the Court that we do not oppose a brief adjournment not to exceed 30 days."
An attorney for Trump did not immediately reply to a request for comment. Trump has entered a not guilty plea in the case, in which he's charged with 34 felony counts of falsification of business records. The allegations related to reimbursements to his former attorney Michael Cohen for a $130,000 payment to an adult film star.
In a March 8 filing that was made public Thursday, Trump's lawyers accused Bragg's office of attempting to thwart their efforts to get material from the Southern District of New York U.S. Attorney.
Trump's attorneys wrote the documents that were ultimately turned over related to, among other things, bank records and related emails concerning Cohen, and documents seized in 2018 from "two Apple iPhones and three email accounts belonging to Mr. Cohen."
Graham KatesGraham Kates is an investigative reporter covering criminal justice, privacy issues and information security for CBS News Digital. Contact Graham at [email protected] or [email protected]
veryGood! (978)
Related
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Taylor Lautner's Wife Tay Lautner Shares Breast Cancer Scare
- Vanessa Hudgens Gives Birth, Welcomes First Baby With Husband Cole Tucker
- Philadelphia sports radio host banned from Citizens Bank Park for 'unwelcome kiss'
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Minnesota prosecutor provides most detailed account yet of shooting deaths of 3 first responders
- Lucky Blue Smith's Ex Stormi Bree Reacts to Nara Smith's TikTok Fame
- Tesla stock climbs as Q2 vehicle deliveries beat expectations for first time in year
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Biden vows to stay in presidential race as he seeks to reassure allies after debate
Ranking
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Ellen DeGeneres cancels multiple shows on 2024 comedy tour
- Britain’s top players at Wimbledon stick to tennis on UK election day
- Philadelphia sports radio host banned from Citizens Bank Park for 'unwelcome kiss'
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- This week on Sunday Morning (July 7)
- Pregnant Francesca Farago Details Her Dream Wedding to Jesse Sullivan
- Tom Hanks’ Son Chet Hanks Clarifies Intentions of “White Boy Summer”
Recommendation
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
Sheryl Lee Ralph shelters in Jamaica ahead of Hurricane Beryl: 'Stay inside'
Kraken's Jessica Campbell makes history as first female full-time NHL assistant coach
Two women dead, 3 children critically injured in early morning July Fourth Chicago shooting
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Nathan’s Famous Independence Day hot dog contest set for NYC — minus its usual muncher
Hurricane Beryl roars toward Mexico after killing at least 7 people in the southeast Caribbean
Fight over retail theft is testing California Democrats’ drive to avoid mass incarceration policies