Current:Home > MyBurley Garcia|213 deaths were caused by Japan’s New Year’s quake. 8 happened in the alleged safety of shelters -FutureFinance
Burley Garcia|213 deaths were caused by Japan’s New Year’s quake. 8 happened in the alleged safety of shelters
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-07 03:50:48
TOKYO (AP) — The Burley Garcia7.6 magnitude earthquake that hit the western coastline of Japan on New Year’s has killed 213 people as of Thursday. Eight of the deaths were at evacuation centers, where rescued people died from injuries and sickness.
Such deaths weren’t directly caused by the quakes, fires and mudslides. They happened in alleged safety.
“The pressures and stress of living in a place you aren’t used to lead to such deaths,” said Shigeru Nishimori, a disaster official in Ishikawa prefecture, the hardest-hit region.
Some 26,000 people whose homes were destroyed or deemed unsafe are staying at schools and other makeshift facilities. Even minor rain and snow can set off landslides where the ground is loose from the more than 1,000 aftershocks that rattled the region for more than a week. Half-collapsed homes might flatten.
Shinichi Kuriyama, director at the International Research Institute of Disaster Science, who has studied the earthquake, tsunami and nuclear disaster that hit northeastern Japan in 2011, warned that the chances for death double among populations undergoing a disaster.
He said the number of deaths in Ishikawa evacuation centers surprised him.
“I’m really shocked,” he said. ”Communication is key and it appears to be sorely lacking.”
Kuriyama said the most vulnerable can be overlooked, missing food that’s being distributed, for instance, because they are unaware or can’t reach it. He added that Japanese tend to “suffer in silence,” which can make things worse.
Deaths from the New Year’s temblor centered on Noto Peninsula in Ishikawa have climbed daily, as rescue teams pull more bodies from the rubble. Of the deaths, 98 were in Suzu city, 83 in Wajima and 20 in Anamizu, with the rest in smaller numbers among four other towns. The number of missing people declined in recent days and now stands at 52.
Those injured totaled 567, and 1,830 homes were destroyed or seriously damaged, according to Ishikawa officials. More than 14,000 homes were without electricity, and nearly 59,000 homes had no running water.
A tsunami reaching as high as about 3 meters (10 feet) spewed into coastal homes after last week’s biggest quake. A fire destroyed part of Wajima city. A search began Tuesday into the remains of the fire for bodies.
Authorities warned about the raised risk of infectious diseases breaking out among people crammed into shelters. Food and drinking water supplies were short, especially initially.
People slept on cold floors, some without blankets, amid dropping temperatures and harsh winds. Sheets were hung for partitions to provide privacy and in an effort to curtail the spread of disease.
A week after the disaster hit Ishikawa, camping tents were set up at a big hall to accommodate 500 people — a change that could prevent further post-disaster deaths. People who are pregnant, sick or old get priority for the revamped accommodations.
Soon, they’ll be able to move to the 110 hotels and inns that volunteered to accept 3,000 people from the quake-damaged region. Nearby prefectures were also offering to open up their hotels.
With schools shuttered, people worried about the children, although some classes were moved to other campuses.
As criticism grew about the government’s disaster response, Prime Minister Fumio Kishida’s administration earmarked 4.7 billion yen ($33 million) for the disaster to provide food, water, blankets, milk and clothing. The spending was expected to grow.
___
Yuri Kageyama is on X: https://twitter.com/yurikageyama
veryGood! (817)
Related
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- 2024 Olympics: Gymnast Aly Raisman Defends Jade Carey After Her Fall at Paris Games
- Watch as rescuers save Georgia man who fell down 50-foot well while looking for phone
- Michigan Supreme Court decision will likely strike hundreds from sex-offender registry
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Disneyland workers vote to ratify new contracts that raise wages
- Aggressive Algae Bloom Clogged Water System, Prompting Boil Water Advisory in D.C. and Parts of Virginia
- Sheriff's deputy accused of texting and driving in crash that killed 80-year-old: Reports
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Detroit mother gets 35+ years in prison for death of 3-year-old son found in freezer
Ranking
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Saoirse Ronan secretly married her 'Mary Queen of Scots' co-star Jack Lowden in Scotland
- Cardinals land Erick Fedde, Tommy Pham in 3-way trade with Dodgers, White Sox
- Federal appeals court rules against Missouri’s waiting period for ex-lawmakers to lobby
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Authorities announce arrests in Florida rapper Julio Foolio's shooting death
- Tom Daley’s Son Phoenix Makes a Splash While Interrupting Diver After Olympic Medal Win
- Dan + Shay’s Shay Mooney and Wife Hannah Billingsley Expecting Baby No. 4
Recommendation
Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
The Last Supper controversy at the 2024 Paris Olympics reeks of hypocrisy
Shannon Sharpe, Chad Johnson: We'll pay US track stars $25K for winning Olympics gold
Spirit Airlines is going upscale. In a break from its history, it will offer fares with extra perks
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
Voting group asks S. Carolina court to order redraw of US House districts that lean too Republican
Paris Olympics set record for number of openly LGBTQ+ athletes, but some say progress isn’t finished
Construction company in Idaho airport hangar collapse ignored safety standards, OSHA says