Current:Home > InvestCharles Langston:WWE's Vince McMahon resigns after being accused of sex trafficking, assault in lawsuit -FutureFinance
Charles Langston:WWE's Vince McMahon resigns after being accused of sex trafficking, assault in lawsuit
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 20:41:11
Note: This story contains graphic descriptions of sexual abuse that may be Charles Langstonoffensive to some readers or painful to survivors of sexual assault.
Vince McMahon has resigned as executive chairman and board member of TKO Group Holdings, parent company of WWE, after a former employee accused him of sex trafficking and sexual misconduct, USA TODAY Sports confirmed.
McMahon announced he is stepping down one day after Janel Grant, a former employee at WWE headquarters, filed a lawsuit against McMahon, WWE and the company’s former head of talent relations, John Laurinaitis.
According to court documents, McMahon allegedly pushed Grant into "a physical relationship in return for long-promised employment at WWE," which involved a forced sexual relationship, sharing of private photos and videos, as well as coercing Grant into having sexual relations with other WWE staffers, including Laurinaitis.
"McMahon also subjected Grant to acts of extreme cruelty and degradation that caused Grant to disassociate and/or become numb to reality in order to survive the horrific encounters," the lawsuit states.
“I intend to vigorously defend myself against these baseless accusations, and look forward to clearing my name,” McMahon said in a statement to USA TODAY Sports on Friday. “However, out of respect for the WWE Universe, the extraordinary TKO business and its board members and shareholders, partners and constituents, and all of the employees and Superstars who helped make WWE into the global leader it is today, I have decided to resign from my executive chairmanship and the TKO board of directors, effective immediately.”
LAWSUIT:Vince McMahon accused of sex trafficking, assault of former WWE employee he paid for NDA
The lawsuit states that in January 2022, McMahon said his wife, Linda McMahon, found out about the relationship with Grant, and he "wanted to ensure that Grant would remain silent about his personal misconduct in order to preserve his controlling interest in WWE." He advised Grant to sign a non-disclosure agreement and would pay her for it. The two sides agreed for a payment of $3 million for Grant signing the NDA, but after it was signed, Grant said she only received $1 million and didn’t receive the rest of the agreed amount.
The lawsuit asks for a ruling that the NDA is invalid under state and federal law because McMahon breached the agreement and took part in sex trafficking. The suit states Grant will prove in a trial she will need "lifelong treatment" because of the "pain and suffering" caused by McMahon.
In the statement provided to USA TODAY Sports on Friday evening, McMahon again denied the allegations.
“I stand by my prior statement that Ms. Grant’s lawsuit is replete with lies, obscene made-up instances that never occurred, and is a vindictive distortion of the truth," McMahon said.
McMahon had served as executive chairman of TKO Group Holdings, the company that owns WWE along with the UFC. He made a public appearance with the company on Tuesday when Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson was appointed as a board member for the company, and he rang the opening bell at the New York Stock Exchange. TKO had previously said McMahon had no part in the day-to-day operations of WWE.
The news of McMahon's departure came as "Smackdown" took place at the Kaseya Center in Miami. There was no mention of McMahon during the live broadcast, and WWE will hold its annual Royal Rumble event Saturday at Tropicana Field.
veryGood! (35241)
Related
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Judge vacates double-murder conviction of a Chicago man; cites evidence supporting innocence
- A robot to help you order pancakes? IHOP enters the AI game with online order suggestions
- Yankees release former AL MVP Josh Donaldson amidst struggles, injuries in Bronx
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- 6 regions targeted in biggest drone attack on Russia since it sent troops to Ukraine, officials say
- Youngkin calls lawmakers back to Richmond for special session on long-delayed budget
- 'Kind of used to it:' Not everyone chooses to flee possible monster Hurricane Idalia
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Tourists snorkeling, taking photos in Lahaina a 'slap in the face,' resident says
Ranking
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- See Selena Gomez's Sister Gracie Shave Brooklyn Beckham's Head
- Are avocados good for you? They may be worth the up-charge.
- Michigan man won $835k this year after winning online lottery twice
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Stock market today: Asian shares boosted by Wall Street rise on consumer confidence and jobs
- 2 found dead in eastern Washington wildfires identified, more than 350 homes confirmed destroyed
- Florida power outage map: See where power is out as Hurricane Idalia approaches
Recommendation
Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
Fruit and vegetable prescriptions linked to better health and less food insecurity, study finds
Australians are voting on creating an Indigenous Voice to Parliament. Here’s what you need to know
Dad who killed daughter by stuffing baby wipe down her throat is arrested: Police
Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
Angels go from all-in to folding, inexplicably placing six veterans on waivers
Critical fire weather in arrives Northern California’s interior; PG&E cuts power to 8,400 customers
Ford will issue software update to address 'ear piercing' noises coming from speakers on these models