Current:Home > Finance‘Son of Sam’ killer Berkowitz denied parole in 12th attempt -FutureFinance
‘Son of Sam’ killer Berkowitz denied parole in 12th attempt
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 17:59:40
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — “Son of Sam” killer David Berkowitz, who set New York City on edge with late-night shootings in the 1970s, was denied parole after his twelfth board appearance.
Berkowitz, 70, was rejected after a Board of Parole prison interview on May 14, according to information listed on a state Department of Corrections and Community Supervision web site. Officials with the corrections agency would not provide additional information on Tuesday.
Berkowitz terrorized the city with a series of shootings that killed six people and wounded seven beginning in July 1976. The shooter targeted young women and couples sitting in cars. The papers called him the ”.44 Caliber Killer.” In taunting notes to police and a journalist, he called himself “Son of Sam” and said he received demonic messages to kill.
Berkowitz was arrested Aug. 10, 1977, a little more than a year after the first victim, Donna Lauria, was shot and killed in the Bronx.
The New York Police Department formed a 200-person task force to find the killer. The case was finally cracked after a witness reported a strange man on the street near the final shooting. Police checked traffic tickets that had been issued in the area and traced them to Berkowitz’s car and home in nearby Yonkers.
Berkowitz was sentenced in 1978 to the maximum prison term of 25 years to life for each of the six slayings. He first became eligible for parole in 2002.
Berkowitz has since expressed remorse and said he is a born-again Christian. He is being held at Shawangunk Correctional Facility, a maximum-security prison about 60 miles (97 kilometers) north of New York City.
veryGood! (9571)
Related
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Rupert Murdoch stepping down as chairman of News Corp. and Fox
- Judge temporarily blocks Republican-backed overhaul of Ohio’s education system following lawsuit
- Talking Heads reflect on 'Stop Making Sense,' say David Byrne 'wasn't so tyrannical'
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Officer said girl, 11, being solicited by adult could be charged with child porn, video shows
- At least 1 killed when bus carrying high schoolers crashes on way to band camp
- Indonesia imprisons a woman for saying a Muslim prayer before eating pork in a TikTok video
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Ray Epps, man at center of right-wing Jan. 6 conspiracy, pleads guilty
Ranking
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Suspect suffers life-threatening injuries in ‘gunfight’ with Missouri officers
- Free covid tests by mail are back, starting Monday
- Greek civil servants have stopped work in a 24-hour strike that is disrupting public transport
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- Anheuser-Busch says it will no longer amputate the tails of Budweiser's Clydesdales
- 9 deputies charged in jail death: Inmate in mental health crisis 'brutalized,' lawyer says
- At least 1 killed when bus carrying high schoolers crashes on way to band camp
Recommendation
McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
How the Pac-12 is having record success in what could be its final football season
Horoscopes Today, September 21, 2023
Jail where murderer Danilo Cavalcante escaped plans to wall off yard and make other upgrades
Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
U.S. offers nearly half-a-million Venezuelan migrants legal status and work permits following demands from strained cities
How Dancing with the Stars Season 32 Will Honor Late Judge Len Goodman
2 French journalists expelled from Morocco as tensions revive between Rabat and Paris