Current:Home > ContactAfrican Union says its second phase of troop withdrawal from Somalia has started -FutureFinance
African Union says its second phase of troop withdrawal from Somalia has started
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-07 07:43:42
MOGADISHU, Somalia (AP) — The second phase of the African Union troop withdrawal from Somalia has started, the bloc said Monday. The pullout follows a timeline for the handover of security to the country’s authorities, which are fighting al-Qaida’s affiliate in East Africa — the Somalia-based al-Shabab.
Last year, the U.N. Security Council unanimously approved a new African Union Transition Mission in Somalia, known as ATMIS, to support the Somalis until their forces take full responsibility for the country’s security at the end of 2024.
The mission is targeting to pull out at least 3,000 more troops by the end of the month, out of the originally 19,626-strong AU force. In the first phase, some 2,000 AU troops drawn from various member states left Somalia in June, handing over six forward operating bases.
On Sunday, the Burundian contingent handed over the Biyo Adde forward operating base in the south-central Hirshabelle state, near the capital of Mogadishu, to the Somali national army. Commander Lt. Col. Philip Butoyi commended the progress made by the Somali forces.
“We have witnessed developments on the battlefield where Somali Security Forces have demonstrated their increasing capability to secure the country. We have seen the forces attack, seize, and hold ground,” the mission quoted Butoyi as saying.
Somali army Maj. Muhudiin Ahmed, thanked the Burundian troops for putting their “lives on the line and shed blood to defend our land against the enemy”.
Under a U.N resolution, the pullout will occur in three phases and completed by December 2024.
Somalia’s government last year launched “total war” on the al-Qaida-linked terror group al-Shabab, which controls parts of rural central and southern Somalia and makes millions of dollars through “taxation” of residents and extortion of businesses.
Al-Shahab has for more than a decade carried out devastating attacks while exploiting clan divisions and extorting millions of dollars a year in its quest to impose an Islamic state. The current offensive was sparked in part by local communities and militias driven to the brink by al-Shabab’s harsh taxation policies amid the country’s worst drought on record.
veryGood! (79395)
Related
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Column: Major champions talk signature shots. And one that stands out to them
- Who can and cannot get weight-loss drugs
- The bodies of 5 young men are found in a car in a violence-wracked city in Mexico
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- MLB Winter Meetings: Live free agency updates, trade rumors, Shohei Ohtani news
- Germany and Brazil hope for swift finalization of a trade agreement between EU and Mercosur
- Judge weighing Ohio abortion rights amendment’s legal impact keeps anti-abortion groups clear
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Are jalapeños good for you? What to know about the health benefits of spicy food.
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- US, allies in talks on naval task force to protect shipping in Red Sea after Houthi attacks
- German man accused of forming armed group to oppose COVID measures arrested in Portugal
- Who can and cannot get weight-loss drugs
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Supreme Court to hear major case that could upend tax code and doom wealth tax proposals
- Oxford picks rizz as the word of the year
- Handcuffed and sent to the ER – for misbehavior: Schools are sending more kids to the hospital
Recommendation
Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
New North Carolina congressional districts challenged in federal court on racial bias claims
Vanessa Hudgens' Beach Day Is the Start of Something New With Husband Cole Tucker
Why Larsa Pippen Is Leaving Engagement Ring Shopping in Marcus Jordan's Hands
FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
GM’s Cruise robotaxi service faces potential fine in alleged cover-up of San Francisco accident
YouTuber who staged California plane crash gets 6 months in prison for obstructing investigation
Reported cancellation of Virginia menorah lighting draws rebuke from governor