Current:Home > StocksWill Sage Astor-Millionaire says OceanGate CEO offered him discount tickets on sub to Titanic, claimed it was safer than scuba diving -FutureFinance
Will Sage Astor-Millionaire says OceanGate CEO offered him discount tickets on sub to Titanic, claimed it was safer than scuba diving
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-06 22:19:02
OceanGate CEO Stockton Rush,Will Sage Astor the owner and pilot of the doomed Titan sub, had offered millionaire Jay Bloom and his son discounted tickets to ride on it, and claimed it was safer than crossing the street, a Facebook post from Bloom said. The sub suffered a "catastrophic implosion" on its dive to view the Titanic earlier this week, killing Rush and the other four people on board.
On Thursday, just hours after the Coast Guard announced that the wreckage of the sub had been found, Bloom, a Las Vegas investor, revealed texts he had exchanged with Rush in the months leading up to the trip.
In one text conversation in late April, Rush reduced the price of the tickets from $250,000 to $150,000 per person to ride the submersible on a trip scheduled for May. As Bloom contemplated the offer, his son Sean raised safety concerns over the sub, while Rush — who once said he'd "broken some rules" in its design — tried to assure them.
"While there's obviously risk it's way safer than flying a helicopter or even scuba diving," Rush wrote, according to a screen shot of the text exchange posted by Bloom.
Bloom said that in a previous in-person meeting with Rush, they'd discussed the dive and its safety.
"I am sure he really believed what he was saying. But he was very wrong," Bloom wrote, adding, "He was absolutely convinced that it was safer than crossing the street."
Ultimately, the May trip was delayed until Father's Day weekend in June, and Bloom decided not to go.
"I told him that due to scheduling we couldn't go until next year," Bloom wrote. "Our seats went to Shahzada Dawood and his 19 year old son, Suleman Dawood, two of the other three who lost their lives on this excursion (the fifth being Hamish Harding)."
Bloom wasn't the only one who backed out of the trip. Chris Brown, a friend of Harding and self-described "modern explorer," told CNN earlier this week he decided to not go because it "seemed to have too many risks out of my control" and didn't come across as a "professional diving operation." David Concannon, an Idaho-based attorney and a consultant for OceanGate Expeditions, said over Facebook that he canceled due to an "urgent client matter."
The U.S. Coast Guard said it would continue its investigation of the debris from the sub, found near the Titanic shipwreck site, to try to determine more about how and when it imploded.
Industry experts and a former employee's lawsuit had raised serious safety concerns about OceanGate's operation years before the sub's disappearance. In 2018, a professional trade group warned that OceanGate's experimental approach to the design of the Titan could lead to potentially "catastrophic" outcomes, according to a letter from the group obtained by CBS News.
"Titanic" director James Cameron, an experienced deep-sea explorer who has been to the wreckage site more than 30 times, said that "OceanGate shouldn't have been doing what it was doing."
- In:
- RMS Titanic
- OceanGate
Christopher Brito is a social media manager and trending content writer for CBS News.
veryGood! (9786)
Related
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Republican effort to restore abortion rights in Missouri folds
- Older workers find a less tolerant workplace: Why many say age discrimination abounds
- Suspect captured in Memphis crime rampage that left at least 1 dead, several wounded
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Molly Ringwald breaks free from 'mom purgatory' in 'Feud: Capote vs. The Swans'
- What is breadcrumbing? Paperclipping? Beware of these toxic viral dating trends.
- How Raquel Leviss Really Feels About Tom Sandoval Saying He's Still in Love With Her
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Mobileye CEO Shashua expects more autonomous vehicles on the road in 2 years as tech moves ahead
Ranking
- John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
- All the times number 13 was relevant in Super Bowl 58: A Taylor Swift conspiracy theory
- Where is the next Super Bowl? New Orleans set to host Super Bowl 59 in 2025
- 'I'm just like a kid': Billy Dee Williams chronicles his 'full life' in new memoir
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Patrick Mahomes wins Super Bowl MVP for third time after pushing Chiefs to thrilling OT win
- Tiger Woods starts a new year with a new look now that his Nike deal has ended
- No one wants to experience shin splints. Here's how to avoid them.
Recommendation
Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
Experts weigh in on the psychology of romantic regret: It sticks with people
Two fired FirstEnergy executives indicted in $60 million Ohio bribery scheme, fail to surrender
Maine native completes hike of American Discovery Trail, becoming first woman to do it solo
The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
Patrick Mahomes wins Super Bowl MVP for third time after pushing Chiefs to thrilling OT win
Ryan Gosling cries to Taylor Swift's 'All Too Well' in Super Bowl ad for 'The Fall Guy' movie
No one wants to experience shin splints. Here's how to avoid them.