Current:Home > InvestRed Lobster seeks bankruptcy protection days after closing dozens of restaurants -FutureFinance
Red Lobster seeks bankruptcy protection days after closing dozens of restaurants
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 22:01:13
Red Lobster, the casual dining chain that won fans with inventions like popcorn shrimp and “endless” seafood deals, has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.
The 56-year-old chain made the filing late Sunday, days after shuttering dozens of restaurants.
“This restructuring is the best path forward for Red Lobster. It allows us to address several financial and operational challenges and emerge stronger and re-focused on our growth,” said Red Lobster CEO Jonathan Tibus, a corporate restructuring expert who took the top post at the chain in March.
Red Lobster said it will use the bankruptcy proceedings to simplify its operations, close restaurants and pursue a sale. As part of the filings, Red Lobster has entered into a so-called “stalking horse” agreement, meaning it plans to sell its business to an entity formed and controlled by its lenders.
The Orlando, Florida-based chain was founded by Bill Darden, who wanted to make seafood restaurants more accessible and affordable for families. Darden sold Red Lobster to General Mills in 1970. General Mills later went on to form Darden Restaurants, which owns Olive Garden and other chains, and spun the company off in 1995.
In recent years, Red Lobster has been struggling with increasing competition from fast casual chains like Chipotle as well as rising lease and labor costs. Its all-you-can eat deals for shrimp and lobster also became increasingly expensive.
Last fall, Red Lobster lost millions of dollars on its Ultimate Endless Shrimp promotion, which charged $20 for all-you-can-eat shrimp deal.
“We knew the price was cheap, but the idea was to bring more traffic in the restaurants,” Ludovic Garnier, the chief financial officer of Thai Union Group, Red Lobster’s former co-owner, said in an earnings call with investors.
Garnier said the deal did work, and restaurant traffic increased. But more guests opted for the $20 deal than Red Lobster expected, Garnier said, adding “we don’t earn a lot of money at $20.” For the first nine months of 2023, Thai Union Group — which is one of the world’s largest seafood suppliers — reported a $19 million share of loss from Red Lobster.
In January, Thai Union Group announced its intention to exit its minority investment in Red Lobster. CEO Thiraphong Chansiri said the COVID-19 pandemic, industry headwinds and rising operating costs had hit the dining chain hard and caused “prolonged negative financial contributions to Thai Union and its shareholders.”
Thai Union Group first invested in Red Lobster in 2016 and upped its stake in 2020.
Restaurant liquidator TAGeX Brands announced last week that it would be auctioning off the equipment of over 50 Red Lobster locations that were recently closed. The store closures span across more than 20 states — reducing Red Lobster’s presence in cities like Denver, San Antonio, Indianapolis and Sacramento, California.
The seafood restaurant chain said in a court filing that it has more than 100,000 creditors and estimated assets between $1 billion and $10 billion. The company’s estimated liabilities are between $1 billion and $10 billion.
Red Lobster operates 700 locations worldwide.
veryGood! (3731)
Related
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- The U.S. economy has a new twist: Deflation. Here's what it means.
- How a top economic adviser to Biden is thinking about inflation and the job market
- Nikki Haley's husband featured in campaign ad
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Amazon asks federal judge to dismiss the FTC’s antitrust lawsuit against the company
- Federal judge poised to prohibit separating migrant families at US border for 8 years
- Massachusetts attorney general files civil rights lawsuit against white nationalist group
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Love Story Actor Ryan O’Neal Dead at 82
Ranking
- Small twin
- French police address fear factor ahead of the Olympic Games after a deadly attack near Eiffel Tower
- Use these tech tips to preserve memories (old and new) this holiday season
- Teacher gifting etiquette: What is (and isn't) appropriate this holiday
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Fox snatcher: Footage shows furry intruder swiped cameras from Arizona backyard
- Police in Dominica probe the killing of a Canadian couple who owned eco-resort
- Nikki Haley's husband featured in campaign ad
Recommendation
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
Air Force major says he feared his powerlifting wife
Polish truck drivers are blocking the border with Ukraine. It’s hurting on the battlefield
Patriotic brand Old Southern Brass said products were US-made. The FTC called its bluff.
Sam Taylor
UN takes no immediate action at emergency meeting on Guyana-Venezuela dispute over oil-rich region
Slovak president says she’ll challenge new government’s plan to close top prosecutors office
Police in Dominica probe the killing of a Canadian couple who owned eco-resort