Current:Home > StocksDetroit officer to stand trial after photojournalists were shot with pellets during a 2020 protest -FutureFinance
Detroit officer to stand trial after photojournalists were shot with pellets during a 2020 protest
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 22:40:18
A Detroit police corporal accused of shooting three photojournalists with rubber pellets while they covered protests against police brutality has been ordered to stand trial.
Daniel Debono is scheduled to be arraigned Nov. 28 in Wayne County Circuit Court on felonious assault charges, the county prosecutor’s office said Tuesday.
Shortly after midnight on May 31, 2020, in downtown Detroit, MLive.com photojournalist Nicole Hester and two independent photojournalists, Seth Herald and Matthew Hatcher, encountered Debono and two other officers.
Each of the photojournalists was wearing press credentials, identified themselves as news media and raised their hands as they asked to cross the street, Prosecutor Kym Worthy said at the time.
Debono, dressed in riot gear, struck all three with rubber pellets that inflicted bruises and other injuries.
The photojournalists were covering the protest in downtown Detroit, which was sparked by the May 25, 2020, death of George Floyd in Minneapolis. Most of the protesters at the time had already dispersed from the area where the photojournalists were shot.
Then-Detroit Police Chief James Craig suspended Debono.
A 36th District Court judge dismissed the case at the officer’s preliminary examination in 2021, ruling that a state statute gave Debono immunity from prosecution. That was appealed by the prosecutor’s office and a Wayne County Circuit Court judge reversed the lower court’s decision which was appealed by the defense.
Last March, Michigan’s Court of Appeals affirmed the circuit court ruling and remanded the case back to U.S. District Court in Detroit. The appeals court determined the statute provides a legal defense at trial instead of immunity, the prosecutor’s office said.
Debono’s attorney Pam Szydlak said Tuesday night that police officers are “put in impossible situations.”
“It is hard to imagine any other profession where you are facing so many possibilities of being charged with a crime for your actions or your failure to act,” she told The Associated Press in an email.
Debono was carrying out orders, she added.
“If he had failed to do as ordered, he would have been charged with neglect of duty and possible other crimes,” Szydlak said. “On this night numerous projectiles were being thrown at the officers, including, railroad spikes, mortars, bottles, rocks, bricks, bottles of urine, and bottles of bleach/ammonia, etc. An unlawful assembly had been declared on numerous occasions, but the complainants refused to leave.”
_____
Williams reported from West Bloomfield, Michigan.
veryGood! (21)
Related
- Sam Taylor
- The Best Father’s Day Gifts for Girl Dads That’ll Melt His Heart
- Is it OK to come out in your 30s? Dakota Johnson's new movie shows 'there is no timeline'
- The Bachelorette's Rachel Lindsay Shares Why She Regrets Not Having Prenup With Ex Bryan Abasolo
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Possibility of ranked-choice voting in Colorado faces a hurdle with new law
- Michigan man from viral court hearing 'never had a license,' judge says. A timeline of the case
- Fiona Harvey files $170M lawsuit against Netflix for alleged 'Baby Reindeer' portrayal
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Possibility of ranked-choice voting in Colorado faces a hurdle with new law
Ranking
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Tisha Campbell Shares She's Been in Remission From Sarcoidosis for 4 Years
- Trailer for LEGO animated Pharrell Williams biopic featuring Jay-Z, Snoop Dogg and more released
- Is the US job market beginning to weaken? Friday’s employment report may provide hints
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- 17-year-old boy student in Seattle high school parking lot, authorities say
- Disinformation campaign uses fake footage to claim attack on USS Eisenhower
- A new Nebraska law makes court diversion program available to veterans. Other states could follow
Recommendation
Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
There are thousands of tons of plastic floating in the oceans. One group trying to collect it just got a boost.
How Boy Meets World’s Trina McGee Is Tuning Out the Negativity Amid Her Pregnancy at Age 54
North Carolina House speaker says university athletics scheduling bill isn’t going further
Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
What to look for the in the Labor Department's May jobs report
Samoan author accused of killing Samoan writer who was aunt of former US politician Tulsi Gabbard
Welcome to the 'microfeminist' revolution: Women clap back at everyday sexism on TikTok