Current:Home > NewsPolice questioned over legality of Kansas newspaper raid in which computers, phones seized -FutureFinance
Police questioned over legality of Kansas newspaper raid in which computers, phones seized
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 20:56:44
MARION, Kan. (AP) — A small central Kansas police department is facing a firestorm of criticism after it raided the offices of a local newspaper and the home of its publisher and owner — a move deemed by several press freedom watchdogs as a blatant violation of the U.S. Constitution’s protection of a free press.
The Marion County Record said in its own published reports that police raided the newspaper’s office on Friday, seizing the newspaper’s computers, phones and file server and the personal cellphones of staff, based on a search warrant. One Record reporter said one of her fingers was injured when Marion Police Chief Gideon Cody wrested her cellphone out of her hand, according to the report.
Police simultaneously raided the home of Eric Meyer, the newspaper’s publisher and co-owner, seizing computers, his cellphone and the home’s internet router, Meyer said. Meyer’s 98-year-old mother — Record co-owner Joan Meyer who lives in the home with her son — collapsed and died Saturday, Meyer said, blaming her death on the stress of the raid of her home.
Meyer said in his newspaper’s report that he believes the raid was prompted by a story published last week about a local restaurant owner, Kari Newell. Newell had police remove Meyer and a newspaper reporter from her restaurant early this month, who were there to cover a public reception for U.S. Rep. Jake LaTurner, a Republican representing the area. The police chief and other officials also attended and were acknowledged at the reception, and the Marion Police Department highlighted the event on its Facebook page.
The next week at a city council meeting, Newell publicly accused the newspaper of using illegal means to get information on a drunk driving conviction against her. The newspaper countered that it received that information unsolicited, which it sought to verify through public online records. It eventually decided not to run a story on Newell’s DUI, but it did run a story on the city council meeting, in which Newell confirmed the 2008 DUI conviction herself.
A two-page search warrant, signed by a local judge, lists Newell as the victim of alleged crimes by the newspaper. When the newspaper asked for a copy of the probable cause affidavit required by law to issue a search warrant, the district court issued a signed statement saying no such affidavit was on file, the Record reported.
Newell declined to comment Sunday, saying she was too busy to speak. She said she would call back later Sunday to answer questions.
Cody, the police chief, defended the raid on Sunday, saying in an email to The Associated Press that while federal law usually requires a subpoena — not just a search warrant — to raid a newsroom, there is an exception “when there is reason to believe the journalist is taking part in the underlying wrongdoing.”
Cody did not give details about what that alleged wrongdoing entailed.
Cody, who was hired in late April as Marion’s police chief after serving 24 years in the Kansas City, Missouri, Police Department, did not respond to questions about whether police filed a probable cause affidavit for the search warrant. He also did not answer questions about how police believe Newell was victimized.
Meyer said the newspaper plans to sue the police department and possibly others, calling the raid an unconstitutional violation of the First Amendment’s free press guarantee.
Press freedom and civil rights organizations agreed that police, the local prosecutor’s office and the judge who signed off on the search warrant overstepped their authority.
“It seems like one of the most aggressive police raids of a news organization or entity in quite some time,” said Sharon Brett, legal director for the American Civil Liberties Union of Kansas. The breadth of the raid and the aggressiveness in which it was carried out seems to be “quite an alarming abuse of authority from the local police department,” Brett said.
Seth Stern, director of advocacy for Freedom of the Press Foundation, said in a statement that the raid appeared to have violated federal law, the First Amendment, “and basic human decency.”
“This looks like the latest example of American law enforcement officers treating the press in a manner previously associated with authoritarian regimes,” Stern said. “The anti-press rhetoric that’s become so pervasive in this country has become more than just talk and is creating a dangerous environment for journalists trying to do their jobs.”
——-
Beck reported from Omaha, Nebraska.
veryGood! (271)
Related
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- An apple a day really can help keep the doctor away. Here's how.
- Memphis residents say environmental racism prompted pollution ‘cesspool,' wreaking havoc
- Texans receiver Tank Dell was among 10 people wounded in shootout at Florida party, sheriff says
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Mike Tyson-Jake Paul bout set for eight rounds, sanctioned as pro fight for July 20
- King Charles III Returns to Public Duties in First Official Appearance Since Cancer Diagnosis
- This Disney restaurant is first in theme-park history to win a Michelin star
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- FCC fines Verizon, AT&T other major carriers nearly $200 million for sharing customer data
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- 24 NFL veterans on thin ice after 2024 draft: Kirk Cousins among players feeling pressure
- Hurry, You Can Score 20% off Everything at BaubleBar, With Pieces Starting at Just $10
- FCC fines Verizon, AT&T other major carriers nearly $200 million for sharing customer data
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- From the sidelines, some Christians in US strive to be peacemakers as Israel-Hamas war continues
- Hamas releases propaganda video of two hostages, including a kidnapped American citizen
- 3 US Marshals task force members killed while serving warrant in North Carolina, authorities say
Recommendation
Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
Louisiana Supreme Court rules for new City of St. George
USA TODAY's investigative story on Mel Tucker wins Headliner Award. Tucker was later fired.
Sean 'Diddy' Combs files motion to dismiss sex trafficking claim in sexual assault lawsuit
Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
Mexican man wins case against Cartier after buying $13,000 earrings online for $13
Death of Frank Tyson, Ohio man who told police 'I can't breathe' has echoes of George Floyd
Psst! Everything at J.Crew Factory Is 50% off Right Now, Including Hundreds of Cute Springtime Finds