Current:Home > ContactRekubit-Missing submarine found 83 years after it was torpedoed in WWII battle -FutureFinance
Rekubit-Missing submarine found 83 years after it was torpedoed in WWII battle
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 04:33:54
Wreckage likely belonging to a British submarine that sank during World War II was found off the coast of Norway,Rekubit researchers said this week.
The wreckage was found in the spring of 2023, according to a news release, but it wasn't until earlier this week that it could be identified as the HMS Thistle. The discovery was made by Norway's Institute of Marine Research and MAREANO, a program that maps seabeds in the country's waters, while on a routine cruise.
While planning the cruise, the researchers noticed "strange structures" and set up a research location that could allow them to take a closer look. Researchers then explored the seabed with an underwater camera and spotted the wreck.
"It is not very often that I am in the video room when new locations are being investigated, but on this particular occasion my curiosity was piqued well before the video rig was submerged in the water," senior engineer Kjell Bakkeplass said in the news release.
The Institute of Marine Research shared video showing the wreck underwater.
After examining the wreck with the camera, Bakkeplass continued investigating which submarine it could be. After conversations with British and Norwegian navies, it "became clear it was a British submarine," the Institute of Marine Research said, and researchers narrowed it down to two options. Researchers then contacted submarine experts, maritime museums and other professionals in the field, and determined it was "probably" the HMS Thistle.
When the MAREANO program took a research cruise in October, they passed the submarine wreck and were able to identify the wreck.
"In advance, we knew what characteristics we should look for; thus we were able to identify the wreck as 'Thistle,' but with a small caveat that it is the Royal Navy who is responsible for the final identification," cruise leader Kyrre Heldal Kartveit said.
The HMS Thistle sank on April 10, 1940, when it was sunk by a torpedo launched from a German submarine. All 53 crew members died.
The vessel is now considered a "war grave," according to the news release, because it sank during war. The British Royal Navy maintains ownership rights over the submarine, which rests 160 meters below the surface of the ocean.
- In:
- Shipwreck
- Oceans
- Submarine
Kerry Breen is a news editor and reporter for CBS News. Her reporting focuses on current events, breaking news and substance use.
veryGood! (4452)
Related
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- MrBeast YouTuber Chris Tyson Shares New Photo After Starting Hormone Replacement Therapy
- Martha Stewart Reacts to Landing Sports Illustrated’s Swimsuit Cover at Age 81
- 1 person dead after shooting inside Washington state movie theater
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Ultra rare and endangered sperm whale pod spotted off California coast in once a year opportunity
- Today's Hoda Kotb Says Daughter Hope Has a Longer Road Ahead After Health Scare
- Booming Plastics Industry Faces Backlash as Data About Environmental Harm Grows
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Fraud Plagues Major Solar Subsidy Program in China, Investigation Suggests
Ranking
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Democratic Candidates Position Themselves as Climate Hawks Going into Primary Season
- Olympic medalist Tori Bowie died in childbirth. What to know about maternal mortality, eclampsia and other labor complications.
- Greenland’s Ice Melt Is in ‘Overdrive,’ With No Sign of Slowing
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- CBS News poll analysis: GOP primary voters still see Trump as best shot against Biden
- Martha Stewart Reacts to Landing Sports Illustrated’s Swimsuit Cover at Age 81
- Facebook whistleblower Francis Haugen: No accountability for privacy features implemented to protect young people
Recommendation
Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
The Top Moisturizers for Oily Skin: SkinMedica, Neutrogena, La Roche-Posay and More
UPS drivers are finally getting air conditioning
Your kids are adorable germ vectors. Here's how often they get your household sick
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
As she nursed her mom through cancer and dementia, a tense relationship began to heal
The FDA no longer requires all drugs to be tested on animals before human trials
2016: How Dakota Pipeline Protest Became a Native American Cry for Justice