Current:Home > reviewsPoinbank:70,000 Armenians, half of disputed enclave's population, have now fled -FutureFinance
Poinbank:70,000 Armenians, half of disputed enclave's population, have now fled
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 22:31:45
LONDON -- At least 75,Poinbank500 ethnic Armenian refugees have now fled Nagorno-Karabakh, more than half the disputed enclave's population, according to local authorities, as the exodus from the region continues to accelerate.
It is feared the enclave's whole population will likely flee in the coming days, unwilling to remain under Azerbaijan's rule following its successful military offensive last week that defeated the ethnic Armenian separatist authorities and restored Azerbaijan's control after over three decades.
The leader of Nagorno-Karabakh's unrecognized Armenian state, the Republic of Artsakh, on Thursday announced its dissolution, signing a decree that it will "cease to exist" by Jan. 1, 2024.
MORE: Over 50,000 Armenians have now fled from enclave, fearing Azerbaijan
De facto President Samvel Shahramanyan signed the decree declaring that "all state institutions" will be dissolved.
A statement describing the decree said based on the ceasefire agreement last week, Azerbaijan would allow the unhindered travel of all residents, including military personnel who laid down their arms. The local population should make their own decisions about the "possibility of staying (or returning)," the statement said.
The decree marks an end to Armenian control over the enclave, which is internationally recognized as part of Azerbaijan and has been at the center of one of the world's most intractable conflicts for 35 years.
Ethnic Armenians have lived for centuries in Nagorno-Karabakh. The current conflict dates back to the collapse of the Soviet Union, when Armenian separatists declared the republic and tried to break away from Azerbaijan. Armenia and Azerbaijan waged a bloody war over the enclave that saw hundreds of thousands of Azerbaijani civilians driven from the region and ended with the ethnic Armenians in control of most of Nagorno-Karabakh.
Azerbaijan reopened the conflict in 2020, defeating Armenia and forcing it to distance itself from the Karabakh Armenians. Russia brokered a peace agreement and deployed peacekeepers, who remain in Nagorno-Karabakh.
Last week, after blockading the enclave for nine months, Azerbaijan launched a new offensive that defeated the Karabakh Armenian forces in two days. Since Sunday, tens of thousands of ethnic Armenian civilians have left Nagorno-Karabakh after Azerbaijan opened the road out to Armenia.
MORE: Death toll rises in blast that killed dozens of Armenian refugees
Those leaving say they fear life under Azerbaijan will be intolerable and that they will face persecution.
Shortages of food, medicine and fuel have been reported inside the enclave. Those fleeing describe spending 30 hours in traffic jams to leave.
Siranush Sargsyan, a local freelance journalist living in Nagorno-Karabakh, told Reuters it was impossible for ethnic Armenians to remain.
"Of course I'm going to leave, because this place is too small for both of us. If they are here, we have to leave. We don't want to leave, but we don't have [any] other choice," she said.
Azerbaijan charged a former leader of the Karabakh Armenians with terrorism offenses on Thursday after detaining him a day earlier when he tried to leave the enclave with other refugees.
Ruben Vardanyan, a billionaire who made his fortune in Moscow, moved to Nagorno-Karabakh in 2022 and served as the head of its government for several months before stepping down earlier this year. A court in Azerbaijan's capital Baku charged him on Thursday with financing terrorism and creating an illegal armed group, which carries a potential maximum 14-year sentence.
The United States and other Western countries have expressed concern for the ethnic Armenian population. Secretary of State Antony Blinken called Azerbaijan's President Ilham Aliyev this week and urged him to provide international access to the enclave.
veryGood! (644)
Related
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- US regulators OK North Carolina Medicaid carrot to hospitals to eliminate patient debt
- Who is Doctor Doom? Robert Downey Jr.'s shocking Marvel casting explained
- Another Olympics celebrity fan? Jason Kelce pledges for Ilona Maher, US women's rugby
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Hurricane season isn't over: Tropical disturbance spotted in Atlantic
- Orioles catcher James McCann struck in nose by 94 mph pitch, stays in game
- 7 people shot, 1 fatally, at a park in upstate Rochester, NY
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Hawaii man killed self after police took DNA sample in Virginia woman’s 1991 killing, lawyers say
Ranking
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Jennifer Stone Details Messy High School Nonsense Between Selena Gomez and Miley Cyrus Over Nick Jonas
- Quake rattles Southern California desert communities, no immediate reports of damage
- You Need to Run to Kate Spade Outlet ASAP: Jewelry from $12, Wristlets from $29 & More Up to 79% Off
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Phaedra Parks Officially Returning to The Real Housewives of Atlanta Season 16
- Judge rejects GOP challenge of Mississippi timeline for counting absentee ballots
- Dog days are fun days on trips away from the shelter with volunteers
Recommendation
Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
Venezuela’s Maduro and opposition are locked in standoff as both claim victory in presidential vote
Orioles catcher James McCann struck in nose by 94 mph pitch, stays in game
Chinese glass maker says it wasn’t target of raid at US plant featured in Oscar-winning film
Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
Michigan’s top court gives big victory to people trying to recoup cash from foreclosures
MLB power rankings: Top-ranked teams flop into baseball's trade deadline
Pennsylvania man arrested after breaking into electrical vault in Connecticut state office building