Current:Home > NewsIndia suspends visa services in Canada and rift widens over killing of Canadian citizen -FutureFinance
India suspends visa services in Canada and rift widens over killing of Canadian citizen
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 21:16:25
NEW DELHI (AP) — India’s visa processing center in Canada suspended services Thursday as a rift widened between the countries after Canada’s leader said India may have been involved in the killing of a Canadian citizen.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told Parliament on Monday that there were “credible allegations” of Indian involvement in the assassination of Sikh independence activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar, who had been wanted by India for years and was gunned down in June outside the temple he led.
Canada also expelled an Indian diplomat, and India followed by expelling a Canadian diplomat on Tuesday. It called the allegations being investigated in Canada absurd and an attempt to shift attention from the presence of Nijjar and other wanted suspects in Canada.
“Important notice from Indian Mission: Due to operational reasons, with effect from 21 Sept. Indian visa services have been suspended till further notice,” the BLS Indian Visa Application Center in Canada said. It gave no further details. BLS is the agency that processes visa requests for India.
MORE ON THE INDIA-CANADA RIFT Who was Hardeep Singh Nijjar, the Sikh activist whose killing has divided Canada and India? Canada gets muted allied support after alleging India may have been involved in killing of CanadianIndia’s External Affairs Ministry did not immediately comment.
On Wednesday, the ministry issued an updated travel advisory urging its citizens traveling in Canada and especially those studying in the North American country to be cautious because of “growing anti-India activities and politically condoned hate-crimes.”
Indians should also avoid going to venues in Canada where “threats have particularly targeted Indian diplomats and sections of the Indian community who oppose anti-India agenda,” the ministry said.
Nijjar was working to organize an unofficial referendum among the Sikh diaspora on independence from India at the time of his killing. He had denied India’s accusation that he was a terrorist.
Demands for an independent Sikh homeland, known as Khalistan, started as an insurgency in India’s Punjab state in the 1970s that was crushed in an Indian government crackdown that killed thousands. The movement has since lost much of its political power but still has supporters in Punjab, where Sikhs form a majority, as well as among the sizable overseas Sikh diaspora.
India’s National Investigation Agency said Wednesday it has intensified its crackdown on Sikh insurgents operating in India.
It announced rewards of up to 1 million rupees ($12,000) for information leading to the arrest of five insurgents, one of whom is believed to be based in neighboring Pakistan.
The agency accused them of extorting money from businesses for a banned Sikh organization, the Babbar Khalsa International, and of targeted killings in India. “They also have established a network of operatives in various countries to further their terrorist activities in India,” it said in a statement, without naming any country.
India accuses Pakistan of supporting insurgencies in Kashmir and Punjab, a charge Islamabad denies.
veryGood! (787)
Related
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Rookie Devon Witherspoon scores on 97-yard pick six as Seahawks dominate Giants
- At least 10 killed as church roof collapses in Mexico, officials say
- Nick Saban, Kirby Smart among seven SEC coaches making $9 million or more
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Which students get into advanced math? Texas is using test scores to limit bias
- Fulton County D.A. subpoenas Bernie Kerik as government witness in Trump election interference case
- Biden says he's most pro-union president ever. But his policies hurt striking UAW workers.
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Missing California swimmer reportedly attacked by shark, say officials
Ranking
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Maldives president-elect says he’s committed to removing the Indian military from the archipelago
- 2 Army soldiers killed, 12 injured in crash of military transport vehicle in Alaska
- Cigna to pay $172 million to settle charges it overcharged Medicare Advantage plans
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Pope Francis opens possibility for blessing same-sex unions
- FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried's trial is about to start. Here's what you need to know
- John Legend Doppelgänger Has The Voice Judges Doing a Double Take After His Moving Performance
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
South Carolina speaker creates committee to scrutinize how state chooses its judges
Adam Devine, wife Chloe Bridges expecting first child together: 'Very exciting stuff!'
11-year-old allegedly shoots 13-year-olds during dispute at football practice: Police
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
Swiss LGBTQ+ rights groups hail 60-day sentence for polemicist who called journalist a ‘fat lesbian’
Why Pregnant Jessie James Decker Is Definitely Done Having Kids After Baby No. 4
Elon Musk facing defamation lawsuit in Texas over posts that falsely identified man in protest