Current:Home > ContactOliver James Montgomery-‘ER’ creator Michael Crichton’s estate sues Warner Bros. over upcoming hospital drama ‘The Pitt’ -FutureFinance
Oliver James Montgomery-‘ER’ creator Michael Crichton’s estate sues Warner Bros. over upcoming hospital drama ‘The Pitt’
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 16:16:57
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Oliver James Montgomeryestate of Michael Crichton, who wrote the screenplay for what became the pilot episode of “ER,” has sued Warner Bros. Television over a dispute about an upcoming medical drama it says is a rebranded version of an unauthorized reboot.
After Crichton’s estate, led by his widow, Sherri, could not reach an agreement with the television studio to produce a reboot of the famed medial procedural, the lawsuit alleges Warner Bros. proceeded to develop and produce a series based on the same premise without consent.
The upcoming series, titled “The Pitt,” will be a medical drama set in Pittsburgh, as opposed to “ER’s” Chicago setting, and will feature Noah Wyle in a starring role. Wyle is best known for playing John Carter on “ER” in over 250 episodes.
“The Pitt” is also set to include several “ER” alums behind-the-scenes, including John Wells as the executive producer and R. Scott Gemmill as the showrunner. Wyle, Wells and Gemmill are each named defendants in the suit.
Because of Crichton’s success with projects including “Jurassic Park” and “Westworld” before “ER” was developed, he secured a coveted “frozen rights” provision in his contract for the series. The provision prohibits Warner Bros. from proceeding with any sequels, remakes, spinoffs or other productions derived from “ER” without Crichton’s consent, or his estate’s consent after his death from cancer in 2008.
“If Warner Bros. can do this to Michael Crichton, one of the industry’s most successful and prolific creators who made the studio billions over the course of their partnership, no creator is safe,” a spokesperson for Sherri Crichton said in a statement to The Associated Press. “While litigation is never the preferred course of action, contracts must be enforced, and Michael Crichton’s legacy must be protected.”
The estate, which filed the lawsuit Tuesday in Los Angeles Superior Court, is asking the judge to issue an injunction that would force the studio to stop production on the new series, and they are also seeking punitive and compensatory damages.
Warner Bros. began developing a reboot of “ER” for HBO’s streamer, Max, in 2020 without Sherri’s knowledge, according to the lawsuit.
In 2022, when Sherri Crichton was informed of the developing project, she and the estate engaged in negotiations with the studio, through which she says she was promised that Crichton would get a “created by” credit, backed by a $5 million guarantee for the estate in the event the credit was not given. Ultimately, the term was revoked and negotiations stopped, which the lawsuit states should have ceased all development of the series.
Development continued on, and “The Pitt” was announced in March. A release date has yet to be announced.
“The Pitt is ER. It’s not like ER, it’s not kind of ER, it’s not sort of ER. It is ER complete with the same executive producer, writer, star, production companies, studio, and network as the planned ER reboot,” lawyers representing Crichton’s estate wrote in the lawsuit.
The lawsuit also alleges that Warner Bros. had previously tried to “erase” Crichton from derivatives for his work by downgrading his credit in the 2016 series based off his movie, “Westworld,” from “created by” to “based on,” which they say started “a disturbing pattern.”
Warner Bros. Television has not yet issued a statement regarding the lawsuit.
veryGood! (735)
Related
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Hollister's Annual Summer Sale is Here: Get $10 Shorts, $20 Jeans & More Deals Up to 64% Off
- 3 caught in Florida Panhandle rip current die a day after couple drowns off state’s Atlantic coast
- Powerball winning numbers for June 22 drawing: Jackpot now worth $84 million
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- Flip phone sales are surging as folks seek connection without distraction
- FDA gives green light to menthol flavored e-cigarettes for first time
- I Always Hated Cleaning My Bathroom Until I Finally Found Products That Worked
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Why a young family decided to move to a tiny Maine island on a whim
Ranking
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Wild Thang wins world's ugliest dog contest in Petaluma
- Swath of New England placed under tornado watch as region faces severe storms
- NASCAR driver, Mexican native Daniel Suarez celebrates becoming American citizen
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Travis Kelce joins Taylor Swift onstage during surprise Eras Tour appearance in London: Watch
- Three-time Cy Young winner Max Scherzer set for 2024 Rangers debut: 'Champing at the bit'
- 2 people were taken to a hospital after lightning struck a tree near a PGA Tour event in Connecticut
Recommendation
Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
California Democrats agree to delay health care worker minimum wage increase to help balance budget
Taylor Swift sings 'thanK you aIMee,' performs with Hayley Williams at Eras Tour in London
California boy, 4, who disappeared from campground found safe after 22 hours alone in wilderness
Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
Amazon to stop using plastic air pillows in packages
All involved in shooting that critically wounded Philadelphia officer are in custody, police say
USMNT vs. Bolivia Copa America updates: Christian Pulisic scores goal early