Current:Home > ContactMichigan’s top court won’t revive Flint water charges against 7 key figures -FutureFinance
Michigan’s top court won’t revive Flint water charges against 7 key figures
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 18:06:45
DETROIT (AP) — The Michigan Supreme Court on Wednesday rejected a last-chance effort to revive criminal charges against seven people in the Flint water scandal, waving away an appeal by prosecutors who have desperately tried to get around a 2022 decision that gutted the cases.
The attorney general’s office used an uncommon tool — a one-judge grand jury — to hear evidence and return indictments against nine people, including former Gov. Rick Snyder. But the Supreme Court last year said the process was unconstitutional, and it struck down the charges as invalid.
State prosecutors, however, were undeterred. They returned to Flint courts and argued the charges could be easily revived with a simple refiling of documents. That position was repeatedly rejected all the way to the state’s highest court.
“We are not persuaded that the question presented should be reviewed by this court,” the Supreme Court said in a series of one-sentence orders Wednesday.
There was no immediate response to an email seeking comment from the attorney general’s office.
Orders were filed in cases against former state health director Nick Lyon, former state medical executive Eden Wells and five other people.
Snyder was charged with willful neglect of duty, a misdemeanor. The indictment against him has been dismissed, too, though the Supreme Court did not address an appeal by prosecutors Wednesday only because it was on a different timetable.
Managers appointed by Snyder turned the Flint River into a source for Flint city water in 2014, but the water wasn’t treated to reduce its corrosive impact on old pipes. As a result, lead contaminated the system for 18 months.
Lyon and Wells were charged with involuntary manslaughter. Some experts have attributed a fatal Legionnaires’ disease outbreak in 2014-15 to the water switch. They were accused of not timely warning the public.
Indictments were also thrown out against Snyder’s former chief of staff, Jarrod Agen; another key aide, Rich Baird; former Flint Managers Gerald Ambrose and Darnell Earley; former city Public Works Director Howard Croft; and former health official Nancy Peeler.
Snyder acknowledged that state government botched the water switch, especially regulators who didn’t require certain treatments. But his lawyers deny his conduct rose to the level of any crime.
Prosecutors could try to start from scratch. But any effort to file charges in a more traditional way against some of the targets now could get tripped up by Michigan’s six-year statute of limitations.
Since 2016, the attorney general’s office, under a Republican and now a Democrat, has tried to hold people criminally responsible for Flint’s water disaster, but there have been no felony convictions or jail sentences. Seven people pleaded no contest to misdemeanors that were later scrubbed from their records.
___
Follow Ed White at http://twitter.com/edwritez
veryGood! (35)
Related
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Boo Buckets return to McDonald's Happy Meals on October 15
- Is Capital One Financial stock a buy before Oct. 24?
- Human Head Found in Box on Chicago Sidewalk
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Wolves' Donte DiVincenzo, Knicks assistant have to be separated after game
- Ricky Pearsall returns to the 49ers practice for the first time since shooting
- Jinger Duggar Is Pregnant, Expecting Baby No. 3 with Husband Jeremy Vuolo
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Town fines resident who projected Trump sign onto municipal water tower
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Europa Clipper has launched: Spacecraft traveling to Jupiter's icy moon to look for signs of life
- Former officer with East Germany’s secret police sentenced to prison for a border killing in 1974
- Kanye West Allegedly Told Wife Bianca Censori He Wanted to Have Sex With Her Mom While She Watched
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Rapper Ka Dead at 52
- Threats against FEMA workers hamper some hurricane aid; authorities arrest armed man
- NFL Week 6 overreactions: Jets playoff bound with Davante Adams, Lions' title hopes over
Recommendation
'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
Liam Gallagher reacts to 'SNL' Oasis skit: 'Are they meant to be comedians'
Boo Buckets return to McDonald's Happy Meals on October 15
How long is Aidan Hutchinson out? Updated injury timeline for Lions DE
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Prosecutor drops an assault charge against a Vermont sheriff after two mistrials
NFL Week 6 overreactions: Jets playoff bound with Davante Adams, Lions' title hopes over
Liam Gallagher reacts to 'SNL' Oasis skit: 'Are they meant to be comedians'