Current:Home > MyPope Francis surgery completed "without complications," pontiff working from hospital during recovery -FutureFinance
Pope Francis surgery completed "without complications," pontiff working from hospital during recovery
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 03:11:23
Rome — The Vatican said Thursday morning that Pope Francis was in good shape a day after his second abdominal surgery in just two years was completed "without complications." The 86-year-old pope was taken to Rome's Gemelli Hospital for the procedure right after his regular weekly Wednesday audience, and he was expected to remain hospitalized for at least several days as he recovers.
The pontiff's medical team said Thursday that he was in good general condition, alert and breathing without assistance after they operated to treat a painful abdominal hernia, removing scar tissue and implanting a prosthetic mesh.
It's an area where Francis has had multiple surgeries over the years, most recently in 2021 when doctors removed 13 inches of his large intestine. Francis was hospitalized for 10 days after that procedure. This time, his doctor said the procedure typically required a hospital stay of five to seven days.
The surgeon cautioned, however, that Francis has been through a lot: This was his fourth surgery, and it came after the pope suffered a lung infection that also landed him in the hospital this spring.
All of the pope's formal audiences through June 18 were cancelled to give him time to recover, but Francis appeared to be wasting no time: His doctor said he went straight back to work in his hospital bed after the procedure.
It's widely suspected that Francis' medical team decided to operate this week so the pope will be healthy again in time for an upcoming trip to Portugal, and then to Mongolia later in the summer.
When the pope was released from the same hospital after his lung infection in the spring, he quipped: "I'm still alive."
The health problems have fueled recurring rumors that Francis, more than a decade into his papacy, could decide to resign, as did his predecessor Pope Emeritus Benedict.
CBS News Vatican consultant Father Anthony Figuereido said earlier this year, however, that Francis had "certainly made it clear - unless he's impeded from being a pope, maybe through some minor difficulty, some illness of the mind, he will continue to be that pope."
Earlier this year, Francis became the first pontiff in modern history to preside over the funeral of his predecessor.
Francis lauded the late Pope Benedict's "brave" decision to retire at the age of 85.
- In:
- Pope Francis
- Rome
- Vatican City
- Catholic Church
Chris Livesay is a CBS News foreign correspondent based in Rome.
TwitterveryGood! (184)
Related
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Where will northern lights be visible in the US? Incoming solar storm to unleash auroras
- A federal judge will hear more evidence on whether to reopen voter registration in Georgia
- Officials work to protect IV supplies in Florida after disruptions at North Carolina plant
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Crane collapses into building where Tampa Bay Times is located: Watch damage from Milton
- When will Aaron Jones return? Latest injury updates on Vikings RB
- Taylor Swift Donates $5 Million to Hurricane Milton and Hurricane Helene Victims
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- 'No fear:' Padres push Dodgers to brink of elimination after NLDS Game 3 win
Ranking
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Arizona Democratic office hit by third shooting in weeks. There were no injuries or arrests
- Big Ten clash between Ohio State and Oregon leads college football Week 7 predictions for Top 25 games
- What makes transfer quarterbacks successful in college football? Experience matters
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Biden condemns ‘un-American’ ‘lies’ about federal storm response as Hurricane Milton nears Florida
- Arizona Democratic office hit by third shooting in weeks. There were no injuries or arrests
- Jeremy Strong and Sebastian Stan on ‘The Apprentice': ‘We’re way out on a limb’
Recommendation
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
'Golden Bachelorette' judges male strip contest. Who got a rose and who left in Ep. 4?
Last Chance for Prime Day 2024: The Top 26 Last-Minute Deals You Should Add to Your Cart Now
Polluted waste from Florida’s fertilizer industry is in the path of Milton’s fury
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
Lupita Nyong'o Confirms Joshua Jackson Breakup
Fantasy football Start ‘Em, Sit ‘Em: 16 players to start or sit in Week 6
Opinion: College leaders have no idea how to handle transgender athlete issues