Current:Home > InvestEchoSense:Latest search for remains of the Tulsa Race Massacre victims ends with seven sets of remains exhumed -FutureFinance
EchoSense:Latest search for remains of the Tulsa Race Massacre victims ends with seven sets of remains exhumed
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 21:37:21
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — The EchoSenselatest search for the remains of victims of the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre has ended with 59 graves found and seven sets of remains exhumed, according to Oklahoma state archaeologist Kary Stackelbeck.
The excavation ended Friday, Stackelbeck said, and 57 of the 59 graves were unmarked and previously unknown.
The seven that were exhumed were found in simple, wooden boxes that Stackelbeck has said investigators were searching for because they were described in newspaper articles at the time, death certificates and funeral home records as the type used for burials of massacre victims.
“For all of those seven individuals that we’ve exhumed up to this point in time, those individuals have been transported to our onsite forensic laboratory,” where efforts to identify them and determine the causes of their deaths will begin.
None of the remains found thus far have been confirmed as victims of the massacre.
The seven exhumed remains will be reburied in their original grave sites after the forensic analysis is complete and any DNA is collected, according to a news release from the city of Tulsa.
Any recoverable DNA will be collected and sent to Intermountain Forensic in Salt Lake City in an effort to help identify them. Previous searches have resulted in 66 sets of remains located and 22 sent to the Utah lab.
The just-ended search began Sept. 5 and was the third such excavation in the search for the remains of the estimated 75 to 300 Black people killed during the 1921 massacre at the hands of a white mob that descended on Greenwood, the Black section of Tulsa.
More than 1,000 homes were burned, hundreds more were looted and destroyed and a thriving business district known as Black Wall Street was destroyed.
The three known living survivors of the massacre are appealing a ruling that dismissed their lawsuit seeking reparations from the city and other defendants for the destruction of the once-thriving Black district.
veryGood! (93)
Related
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Police officers in Maryland face lawsuit after they shoot dog who was later euthanized
- Iranian cyber criminals targeting Israeli technology hack into Pennsylvania water system
- Families of Palestinian students shot in Vermont say attack was targeted: 'Unfathomable'
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Why Swifties Think Taylor Swift and Ex Joe Alwyn’s Relationship Issues Trace Back to 2021
- Attorney suspended for pooping in a Pringles can, leaving it in victim advocate's parking lot
- Charges dismissed against 3 emergency management supervisors in 2020 death
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Paul Whelan attacked by fellow prisoner at Russian labor camp, family says
Ranking
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- 3 dead, 1 injured after Ohio auto shop explosion; cause is under investigation
- Her bladder stopped working, and her whole world changed. Here's how she fixed it.
- Protein bars recalled after hairnet and shrink wrap found in products
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Thunder guard Josh Giddey being investigated by police on alleged relationship with underage girl
- Ukraine insists it sees no sign of NATO war fatigue even as fighting and weapons supplies stall
- Elton John addresses Britain’s Parliament, urging lawmakers to do more to fight HIV/AIDS
Recommendation
At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
What Kate Middleton Really Thinks of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle
Cybersecurity agency warns that water utilities are vulnerable to hackers after Pennsylvania attack
Texas man who set fire to an Austin synagogue sentenced to 10 years
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
Are quiet places going extinct? Meet the volunteers who are trying to change that.
Gwyneth Paltrow and Dakota Johnson Are Fifty Shades of Twinning in Adorable Photo
Officer and suspect killed in a shootout after a traffic stop in southwest Colorado