Current:Home > MarketsThe underage stars of a hit 1968 version of 'Romeo & Juliet' sue over their nude scene -FutureFinance
The underage stars of a hit 1968 version of 'Romeo & Juliet' sue over their nude scene
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 20:29:05
The two stars of 1968's "Romeo and Juliet" sued Paramount Pictures for more than $500 million on Tuesday over a nude scene in the film shot when they were teens.
Olivia Hussey, then 15 and now 71, and Leonard Whiting, then 16 now 72, filed the suit in Los Angeles County Superior Court alleging sexual abuse, sexual harassment and fraud.
Director Franco Zeffirelli, who died in 2019, initially told the two that they would wear flesh-colored undergarments in the bedroom scene that comes late in the movie and was shot on the final days of filming, the suit alleges.
But on the morning of the shoot, Zeffirelli told Whiting, who played Romeo, and Hussey, who played Juliet, that they would wear only body makeup, while still assuring them the camera would be positioned in a way that would not show nudity, according to the suit.
Yet they were filmed in the nude without their knowledge, in violation of California and federal laws against indecency and the exploitation of children, the suit says.
Zeffirelli told them they must act in the nude "or the Picture would fail" and their careers would be hurt, the suit said. The actors "believed they had no choice but to act in the nude in body makeup as demanded."
Whiting's bare buttocks and Hussey's bare breasts are briefly shown during the scene.
The film, and its theme song, were major hits at the time, and has been shown to generations of high school students studying the Shakespeare play since.
The court filing says the Hussey and Whiting have suffered emotional damage and mental anguish for decades, and that each had careers that did not reflect the success of the movie.
It says given that suffering and the revenue brought in by the film since its release, the actors are entitled to damages of more than $500 million.
An email seeking comment from representatives of Paramount was not immediately returned.
The lawsuit was filed under a California law temporarily suspending the statute of limitations for child sex abuse, which has led to a host of new lawsuits and the revival of many others that were previously dismissed.
Hussey defended the scene in a 2018 interview with Variety, which first reported the lawsuit, for the film's 50th anniversary.
"Nobody my age had done that before," she said, adding that Zeffirelli shot it tastefully. "It was needed for the film."
The Associated Press does not typically name people who say they have been sexually abused unless they come forward publicly, as Hussey and Whiting have.
veryGood! (61985)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Emotional Vin Diesel Details How Meadow Walker’s Fast X Cameo Honors Her Late Dad Paul Walker
- It’s ‘Going to End with Me’: The Fate of Gulf Fisheries in a Warming World
- Demi Moore and Emma Heming Willis Fiercely Defend Tallulah Willis From Body-Shamers
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Here's why you should make a habit of having more fun
- Can Trump still become president if he's convicted of a crime or found liable in a civil case?
- A Trump-appointed Texas judge could force a major abortion pill off the market
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- The Future of The Bachelor and Bachelor in Paradise Revealed
Ranking
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Your kids are adorable germ vectors. Here's how often they get your household sick
- Priscilla Presley and Riley Keough Settle Dispute Over Lisa Marie Presley's Estate
- Step Inside RuPaul's Luxurious Beverly Hills Mansion
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Can you bond without the 'love hormone'? These cuddly rodents show it's possible
- UPS drivers are finally getting air conditioning
- A single-shot treatment to protect infants from RSV may be coming soon
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
That Global Warming Hiatus? It Never Happened. Two New Studies Explain Why.
U.S. Army soldier Cole Bridges pleads guilty to attempting to help ISIS murder U.S. troops
New Apps for Solar Installers Providing Competitive Edge
All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
World’s Oceans Are Warming Faster, Studies Show, Fueling Storms and Sea Rise
At Davos, the Greta-Donald Dust-Up Was Hardly a Fair Fight
6.8 million expected to lose Medicaid when paperwork hurdles return