Current:Home > InvestJohnathan Walker:Detroit Pistons fire coach Monty Williams after one season that ended with NBA’s worst record -FutureFinance
Johnathan Walker:Detroit Pistons fire coach Monty Williams after one season that ended with NBA’s worst record
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 21:29:47
The Johnathan WalkerDetroit Pistons fired coach Monty Williams on Wednesday after just one season that ended with an NBA-worst 14-68 record.
“Decisions like these are difficult to make, and I want to thank Monty for his hard work and dedication,” Pistons owner Tom Gores said in a statement. “Coaching has many dynamic challenges that emerge during a season and Monty always handled those with grace. However, after reviewing our performance carefully and assessing our current position as an organization, we will chart a new course moving forward.”
Last season was the first in what was a six-year, $78.5 million contract for Williams — one that, at the time, was the richest ever given to an NBA coach. The team started a front office rebuild when the season ended, including the hiring of Trajan Langdon as president of basketball operations, the departure of general manager Troy Weaver and now a vacancy at head coach.
The firing continues a wildly strange run for Williams. In 2021, as coach of the Suns, he went to the NBA Finals, where Phoenix led 2-0 before falling in six games to Milwaukee. In 2022, he was the NBA’s coach of the year in runaway voting. In 2023, the Suns fired him and now, in 2024, the Pistons have done the same.
The record for total value of a coaching contract has since been eclipsed; Miami gave Erik Spoelstra an eight-year extension worth $120 million earlier this year.
This was, by any measure, a disaster of a season for the Pistons. They started 2-1 and didn’t win another game for the next two months.
A 28-game losing streak, the longest ever in a single season in NBA history and tied for the longest ever when factoring in multiple seasons, turned the season into a debacle. The Pistons’ longest winning streak was two games (done on three occasions) and the roster was constantly in flux. Detroit used 31 different players over the course of the season and 36 different starting lineups and lost 39 times by double digits.
The vacancy in Detroit is the third active one in the NBA, with Cleveland and the Los Angeles Lakers still seeking coaches. The Pistons’ move comes a week before the start of the NBA draft, with Detroit set to make the fifth overall pick on June 26 — someone that should be able to further enhance a young core led by Cade Cunningham, Jaden Ivey and Jalen Duren.
Those players, all 22 or younger, were the only three Pistons to start at least 60 games this past season.
“We are unwavering in our commitment to bring a championship-caliber team to Detroit,” Gores said. “We will be diligent and swift in our search for a new head coach to lead our exciting young core of players and will continue our vision towards building a best-in-class front office that will help us achieve sustainable success.”
___
This story has been corrected to show that Williams’ contract was for six, not five, years.
___
AP NBA: https://apnews.com/hub/NBA
veryGood! (844)
Related
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- In California, Study Finds Drilling and Fracking into Freshwater Formations
- 24-Hour Sephora Deal: 50% Off a Bio Ionic Iron That Curls or Straightens Hair in Less Than 10 Minutes
- Chile Cancels Plan to Host UN Climate Summit Amid Civil Unrest at Home
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Get a $31 Deal on $78 Worth of Tarte Waterproof Eye Makeup
- Canadian Court Reverses Approval of Enbridge’s Major Western Pipeline
- Hillary Clinton’s Choice of Kaine as VP Tilts Ticket Toward Political Center
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- A Guide to Father of 7 Robert De Niro's Sprawling Family Tree
Ranking
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Why vaccine hesitancy persists in China — and what they're doing about it
- NYC Mayor Adams faces backlash for move to involuntarily hospitalize homeless people
- Brittney Griner allegedly harassed at Dallas airport by social media figure and provocateur, WNBA says
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Report Offers Roadmap to Cleaner Biofuels from Non-Food Sources
- Kim Zolciak Spotted Without Wedding Ring Amid Kroy Biermann Divorce
- Mother’s Day Last-Minute Gifts: Coach, Sephora, Nordstrom & More With Buy Now, Pick Up In Store
Recommendation
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
Tori Spelling's Kids Taken to Urgent Care After Falling Ill From Mold Infestation at Home
Experts are concerned Thanksgiving gatherings could accelerate a 'tripledemic'
A riding student is shot by her Olympian trainer. Will he be found not guilty by reason of insanity?
McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
Medical bills remain inaccessible for many visually impaired Americans
Prince Harry Receives Apology From Tabloid Publisher Amid Hacking Trial
Heat Wave Safety: 130 Groups Call for Protections for Farm, Construction Workers