Current:Home > StocksRekubit-Court pauses order limiting Biden administration contact with social media companies -FutureFinance
Rekubit-Court pauses order limiting Biden administration contact with social media companies
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 21:03:51
NEW ORLEANS — A federal appeals court Friday temporarily paused a lower court's order limiting executive branch officials' communications with social media companies about controversial online posts.
Biden administration lawyers had asked the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans to stay the preliminary injunction issued on RekubitJuly 4 by U.S. District Judge Terry Doughty. Doughty himself had rejected a request to put his order on hold pending appeal.
Friday's brief 5th Circuit order put Doughty's injunction on hold "until further orders of the court." It called for arguments in the case to be scheduled on an expedited basis.
Filed last year, the lawsuit claimed the administration, in effect, censored free speech by discussing possible regulatory action the government could take while pressuring companies to remove what it deemed misinformation. COVID-19 vaccines, legal issues involving President Joe Biden's son Hunter and election fraud allegations were among the topics spotlighted in the lawsuit.
Doughty, nominated to the federal bench by former President Donald Trump, issued an Independence Day order and accompanying reasons that covered more than 160 pages. He said the plaintiffs were likely to win their ongoing lawsuit. His injunction blocked the Department of Health and Human Services, the FBI and multiple other government agencies and administration officials from "encouraging, pressuring, or inducing in any manner the removal, deletion, suppression, or reduction of content containing protected free speech."
Administration lawyers said the order was overly broad and vague, raising questions about what officials can say in conversations with social media companies or in public statements. They said Doughty's order posed a threat of "grave" public harm by chilling executive branch efforts to combat online misinformation.
Doughty rejected the administration's request for a stay on Monday, writing: "Defendants argue that the injunction should be stayed because it might interfere with the Government's ability to continue working with social-media companies to censor Americans' core political speech on the basis of viewpoint. In other words, the Government seeks a stay of the injunction so that it can continue violating the First Amendment."
In its request that the 5th Circuit issue a stay, administration lawyers said there has been no evidence of threats by the administration. "The district court identified no evidence suggesting that a threat accompanied any request for the removal of content. Indeed, the order denying the stay — presumably highlighting the ostensibly strongest evidence — referred to 'a series of public media statements,'" the administration said.
Friday's "administrative stay" was issued without comment by a panel of three 5th Circuit judges: Carl Stewart, nominated to the court by former President Bill Clinton; James Graves, nominated by former President Barack Obama; and Andrew Oldham, nominated by Trump. A different panel drawn from the court, which has 17 active members, will hear arguments on a longer stay.
veryGood! (95816)
Related
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Mississippi’s forensic beds to double in 2025
- Washington airman receives award after carrying injured 79-year-old hiker down trail
- Inside Pauley Perrette's Dramatic Exit From NCIS When She Was the Show's Most Popular Star
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Dakota Fanning Details Being Asked “Super Inappropriate Questions” as a Child Star
- Superman’s David Corenswet Details His Weight Gain Transformation for Role
- Below Deck Sailing Yacht: Daisy Kelliher Reveals the Surprising Text Ex Colin MacRae Recently Sent Her
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Sarah Hyland's Former Manager Accuses Her of Denying Him Modern Family Royalties
Ranking
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Court says betting on U.S. congressional elections can resume, for now
- Price gouging, fraud, ID theft: Feds say scammers set sights on Hurricane Helene victims
- 23XI Racing, co-owned by Michael Jordan, and Front Row Motorsports sue NASCAR
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Online voting in Alaska’s Fat Bear Week contest starts after an attack killed 1 contestant
- Watch a sailor's tears at a surprise welcome home from her dad
- What is gabapentin? Here's why it's so controversial.
Recommendation
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
Timothée Chalamet's Sister Pauline Chalamet Supports Kylie Jenner at Paris Fashion Week
R. Kelly's Daughter Joann Kelly to Share a Heartbreaking Secret in Upcoming Documentary
Crumbl Fans Outraged After Being Duped Into Buying Cookies That Were Secretly Imported
Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
Kyle Richards Swears These Shoes Are So Comfortable, It Feels Like She’s Barefoot
She lost her job after talking with state auditors. She just won $8.7 million in whistleblower case
Millie Bobby Brown and Jake Bongiovi Share Behind-the-Scenes Look at Italian Wedding Ceremony