Current:Home > NewsEchoSense:Palestinian security force deploys in school compound in Lebanon refugee camp following clashes -FutureFinance
EchoSense:Palestinian security force deploys in school compound in Lebanon refugee camp following clashes
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 19:49:02
SIDON,EchoSense Lebanon (AP) — A Palestinian security force deployed Friday in a school complex in Lebanon’s largest Palestinian refugee camp in the country’s south, replacing gunmen who had occupied it since fighting broke out in late July leaving more than 30 people dead.
The deployment raises hopes that a nearly two-week cease-fire in the Ein el-Hilweh camp, near the southern port city of Sidon, will hold. On Sept. 14, members of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas’ Fatah group and two Islamic militant factions, Jund al Sham and Shabab al Muslim, agreed to a cessation of hostilities.
The complex includes eight schools. The U.N. agency for Palestinian refugees, UNRWA, has been urging gunmen to evacuate the compound ahead of the school year that is supposed to start in early October.
In the afternoon, the security force, consisting of 55 fighters from factions including Hamas, the Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine and Asbat al-Ansar, took over the badly damaged compound. Some of the school walls were riddled with bullets and rockets.
In late July, Fatah accused the Islamic groups of gunning down a senior Fatah military official, Abu Ashraf al-Armoushi, triggering intense street battles . Several cease-fires were agreed but collapsed. The militants have still not handed over al-Armoushi’s killers.
The commander of Shabab al Muslim, Haitham al-Shaabi told reporters that “the situation in the camp will soon return to normal.” He refused to answer questions related to the handover of al-Armoushi’s killers.
The latest cease-fire agreement, reached on Sept. 14, came after clashes that killed at least 18 people and wounded more than 100. The previous round of fighting earlier in the summer killed at least 13.
This week, UNRWA said that more than 11,000 Palestinian children in south Lebanon will not be able to join their peers at the beginning of the school year on Oct. 2. This is a quarter of refugee school children and is due to clashes in Ein el-Hilweh, UNRWA said.
UNRWA’s director in Lebanon Dorothee Klaus said earlier this week that the agency was forced to take this decision given “all our eight schools inside the camp have been taken over by armed groups.” She added that the schools have sustained significant damage.
Since the fighting began in late July, at least 4,000 people have been forced to flee their homes in the camp, with many of them seeking refuge in UNRWA facilities.
veryGood! (738)
Related
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Baby raccoon's pitiful cries for mom are heartbreaking. Watch a boater step in to help.
- Black Friday in July Tech Deals: Major Markdowns on Macbook, AirPods, Beats, AirTag, Roku, Bose, and More
- Could sharks make good hurricane hunters? Why scientists say they can help with forecasts
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Fire rages after reactor 'catastrophically failed' at Pittsburgh power substation
- 'The Best Man: The Final Chapters' is very messy, very watchable
- Arizona firefighter arrested on arson charges after fires at cemetery, gas station, old homes
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Finding (and losing) yourself backcountry snowboarding
Ranking
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- US air quality today: Maps show Chicago, Minneapolis among cities impacted by Canadian wildfire smoke
- Sheryl Lee Ralph opens up about when her son was shot: 'I collapsed and dropped the phone'
- Arizona firefighter arrested on arson charges after fires at cemetery, gas station, old homes
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Iran releases a top actress who was held for criticizing the crackdown on protests
- 100% coral mortality found in coral reef restoration site off Florida as ocean temperatures soar
- Jaylen Brown, Celtics agree to 5-year supermax deal worth up to $304 million, biggest in NBA history
Recommendation
South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
Police investigating homophobic, antisemitic vandalism at University of Michigan
NFL Star Matthew Stafford's Wife Kelly Slams Click Bait Reports Claiming She Has Cancer
West Virginia state troopers sued over Maryland man’s roadside death
Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
Our 2023 Pop Culture Predictions
US air quality today: Maps show Chicago, Minneapolis among cities impacted by Canadian wildfire smoke
Indonesian ferry capsizes, leaving at least 15 people dead and 19 others missing