Current:Home > reviewsEchoSense:US, Japan and Australia plan joint navy drills in disputed South China Sea, Philippine officials say -FutureFinance
EchoSense:US, Japan and Australia plan joint navy drills in disputed South China Sea, Philippine officials say
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 22:39:35
MANILA,EchoSense Philippines (AP) — The United States, Japan and Australia are planning a joint navy drill in the South China Sea off the western Philippines this week to underscore their commitment to the rule of law in the region after a recent show of Chinese aggression in the disputed waters, Filipino security officials said Sunday.
On Aug. 5, Chinese coast guard ships used water cannons against Philippine vessels in the contested waterway where disputes have long been regarded as a potential flashpoint and have become a fault line in the rivalry between the U.S. and China in the region.
The drill will include three aircraft and helicopter carriers sailing together in a show of force and undertaking joint drills. Their commanders are set to meet with Filipino counterparts in Manila after the offshore drills, two Philippine security officials told The Associated Press.
Both spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not allowed to publicly discuss details of the planned drills.
The U.S. plans to deploy an aircraft carrier, the USS America, while Japan would send one of its biggest warships, the helicopter carrier JS Izumo. The Royal Australian Navy would send its HMAS Canberra, which also carries helicopters, one of the two officials said, adding that the joint drill was planned a few months ago.
The Philippines would not be part of this week’s drills due to military logistical limitations but is open to becoming a participant in the future, the official said.
The United States, Japan and Australia were among several countries that immediately expressed support for the Philippines and concern over the Chinese action following the tense stand-off earlier this month.
Philippine officials said six Chinese coast guard ships and two militia vessels blocked two Philippine navy-chartered civilian boats taking supplies to the Philippine forces stationed at the Second Thomas Shoal. One supply boat was hit with a powerful water cannon by the Chinese coast guard while the other managed to deliver food, water, fuel and other supplies to the Filipino forces guarding the shoal, the Philippine military said.
The Chinese coast guard acknowledged its ships used water cannons against the Philippine vessels, which it said strayed without permission into the shoal, which Beijing calls Ren’ai Jiao.
“In order to avoid direct blocking and collisions when repeated warnings were ineffective, water cannons were used as a warning. The on-site operation was professional and restrained, which is beyond reproach,” the Chinese coast guard said. “China will continue to take necessary measures to firmly safeguard its territorial sovereignty.”
The Philippine military said on Saturday that it would again attempt to deliver basic supplies to its forces in the Second Thomas Shoal, but didn’t provide further details.
The mission “to the shoal is a clear demonstration of our resolve to stand up against threats and coercion and our commitment in upholding the rule of law,” the Armed Forces of the Philippines said in a statement.
Following the incident, Washington renewed a warning that it is obliged to defend its longtime treaty ally if Philippine public vessels and forces come under armed attack, including in the South China Sea.
veryGood! (639)
Related
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Don’t Miss These Rare 50% Off Deals on Le Creuset Cookware
- A rights group says it can’t get access to detained officials in Niger
- Inside Jennifer Lawrence's New Life as a Mom
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Obama urges people to help his homestate of Hawaii after devastating wildfires
- District Attorney: Officers justified in shooting armed 17-year-old burglary suspect in Lancaster
- American industrial icon US Steel is on the verge of being absorbed as industry consolidates further
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- The Federal Bureau of Reclamation Announces Reduced Water Cuts for Colorado River States
Ranking
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Iran claims there will be no restrictions on access to money released in U.S. prisoner exchange
- 'Chrisley Knows Best' family announces new reality TV show amid Todd and Julie's prison sentences
- Is AI a threat to the job market? Not necessarily, and here's why.
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Get $140 Worth of Tarte Cosmetics Products for Just $25
- Zack Martin, Dallas Cowboys rework contract to end offensive guard's camp holdout
- Iran claims there will be no restrictions on access to money released in U.S. prisoner exchange
Recommendation
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Man sent to prison for 10 years for setting a fire at an Illinois Planned Parenthood clinic
Spain vs. Sweden in 2023 World Cup soccer semifinal: Time, channel, how to watch
Neymar announces signing with Saudi Pro League, departure from Paris Saint-Germain
Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
Kentucky’s GOP candidate for governor unveiled his education plan. Tutoring is a big part of it
From Vine to Friendster, a look back on defunct social networking sites we wish still existed
Russia targets western Ukraine with missiles overnight and hits civilian infrastructure