Current:Home > reviewsTradeEdge Exchange:Lawsuit challenges $1 billion in federal funding to sustain California’s last nuclear power plant -FutureFinance
TradeEdge Exchange:Lawsuit challenges $1 billion in federal funding to sustain California’s last nuclear power plant
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 06:33:46
LOS ANGELES (AP) — An environmental group has sued the U.S. Energy Department over its decision to award over $1 billion to help keep California’s last nuclear power plant running beyond a planned closure that was set for 2025. The TradeEdge Exchangemove opens another battlefront in the fight over the future of Diablo Canyon’s twin reactors.
Friends of the Earth, in a complaint filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, argued that the award to plant operator Pacific Gas & Electric last year was based on an outdated, flawed analysis that failed to recognize the risk of earthquakes or other serious events.
The complaint called the safety assessment “grossly deficient” and accuses the Energy Department of relying on a 50-year-old environmental analysis.
“The environmental impacts from extending the lifespan of this aging power plant at this point in time have not been adequately addressed or disclosed to the public,” the complaint said.
An email seeking comment was sent to the Energy Department.
Diablo Canyon lies on a bluff overlooking the Pacific midway between Los Angeles and San Francisco. It began operating in the mid-1980s and supplies up to 9% of the state’s electricity on any given day.
In 2016, PG&E, environmental groups and unions representing plant workers agreed to close the facility by 2025. But the Legislature voided the deal in 2022 after Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom reversed his position and said the power is needed to ward off blackouts as the state transitions to renewables and climate change stresses California’s energy system.
Since then, disputes have swirled about the safety of Diablo Canyon’s decades-old reactors, whether taxpayers might be saddled with hundreds of millions of dollars in additional costs and even if the electricity is needed in the age of solar and other green energy.
PG&E has long said the twin-domed plant is safe, an assessment endorsed by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
The Biden administration approved $1.1 billion in Energy Department funding in January. The financing came through the administration’s civil nuclear credit program, which is intended to bail out financially distressed owners or operators of nuclear power reactors as part of the administration’s effort to cut planet-warming greenhouse gas emissions in half by 2030 compared with 2005 levels.
PG&E has said it wants to keep the plant open to “ensure statewide electrical reliability and combat climate change” at the direction of the state.
The utility is seeking a 20-year extension of its federal licenses, typical in the industry, but emphasized the state would control how long the plant actually runs. A state judge has conditionally approved a blueprint to keep it operating for an additional five years, until 2030.
California is the birthplace of the modern environmental movement and for decades has had a fraught relationship with nuclear power. The fight over Diablo Canyon is playing out as the long-struggling nuclear industry sees a potential rebirth in the era of global warming. Nuclear power doesn’t produce carbon pollution like fossil fuels, but it leaves behind waste that can remain dangerously radioactive for centuries.
veryGood! (39629)
Related
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- 10 detained in large-scale raid in Germany targeting human smuggling gang that exploits visa permits
- Closing arguments set in case against Arizona rancher charged in fatal shooting of unarmed migrant
- Woman who cut unborn baby from victim's womb with butcher knife, sentenced to 50 years
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- 11-year-old boy killed in ATV crash in northern Maine, wardens say
- Why Even Stevens' Christy Carlson Romano Refuses to Watch Quiet on Set
- How Emma Heming Willis Is Finding Joy in Her Current Chapter
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Hatchings of California condor chicks mark milestone for endangered species: Watch video
Ranking
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Blue Eyeshadow Is Having A Moment - These Are the Best Products You Need To Rock The Look
- Dawn Staley shares Beyoncé letter to South Carolina basketball after national championship
- 2024 MLB MVP power rankings: Who is leading the AL, NL races 20 games into the season?
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Astros announce day for injured Justin Verlander's 2024 debut
- US to pay $100 million to survivors of Nassar's abuse. FBI waited months to investigate
- The Rokh x H&M Collection Is Here, and Its Avant-Garde Modifiable Pieces Are Wearable High Fashion
Recommendation
Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
2024 MLB MVP power rankings: Who is leading the AL, NL races 20 games into the season?
Caitlin Clark addresses critics: 'I don't really care what other people say'
Senate rejects impeachment articles against Mayorkas, ending trial against Cabinet secretary
How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
Astros announce day for injured Justin Verlander's 2024 debut
Kentucky lawmaker says he wants to renew efforts targeting DEI initiatives on college campuses
Sluggish start for spring homebuying season as home sales fall in March with mortgage rates rising