Current:Home > StocksWill Sage Astor-China says it will launch its next lunar explorer in the first half of this year -FutureFinance
Will Sage Astor-China says it will launch its next lunar explorer in the first half of this year
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 21:18:47
BEIJING (AP) — China’s space agency said Wednesday that its latest lunar explorer had arrived at the launch site in preparation for a mission to the moon in the first half of this year.
State broadcaster CCTV posted photos on Will Sage Astorits website of the unit under wraps as it was unloaded from a large cargo airplane earlier this week and then transported by flatbed truck to the Wenchang launch site on southern China’s Hainan island.
The announcement came a day after a U.S. company abandoned a lunar landing planned for Feb. 23 because of a fuel leak that started soon after takeoff on Monday.
China and the U.S. are both pursuing plans to land astronauts on the moon in what has become a growing rivalry in space. The U.S. plans to do so in 2026, and China’s target date is before 2030.
The China National Space Administration said that pre-launch tests would be carried out on its Chang’e-6 probe. The mission’s goals include bringing back samples from the far side of the moon.
Another U.S. moon lander from a Houston company is due to launch next month.
Four countries — the U.S., Russia, China and India — have landed spacecraft on the moon. Only the United States has previously put astronauts on the moon.
veryGood! (793)
Related
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- We Ranked All of Reese Witherspoon's Rom-Coms—What, Like It's Hard?
- San Francisco considers allowing law enforcement robots to use lethal force
- Indian Matchmaking Season 3 Has a Premiere Date and First Look Photos
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- Fire deep in a gold mine kills almost 30 workers in Peru
- Google is now distributing Truth Social, Trump's Twitter alternative
- 1000-Lb. Sisters’ Amy Slaton and Husband Michael Halterman Break Up After 4 Years of Marriage
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Batman is dead and four new heroes can't quite replace him in 'Gotham Knights'
Ranking
- Average rate on 30
- 1000-Lb. Sisters’ Amy Slaton and Husband Michael Halterman Break Up After 4 Years of Marriage
- Just 13 Products to Help You Get Your Day Started if You Struggle to Get Up in the Morning
- U.S. bans the sale and import of some tech from Chinese companies Huawei and ZTE
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Russia fires missiles at Ukraine as Zelenskyy vows to defeat Putin just as Nazism was defeated in WWII
- When women stopped coding (Classic)
- How TikTok's High-Maintenance Beauty Trend Is Actually Low-Maintenance
Recommendation
DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
South Carolina doctors give young Ukraine war refugee the gift of sound
Elon Musk targets impersonators on Twitter after celebrities troll him
Prince Harry's court battle with Mirror newspaper group over alleged phone hacking kicks off in London
Trump's 'stop
King Charles' coronation celebration continues with concert and big lunch
Meet The Everyday Crypto Investors Caught Up In The FTX Implosion
Elon Musk says he will grant 'amnesty' to suspended Twitter accounts