Current:Home > MyEthermac|Russian warships depart Cuba after visit following military exercises -FutureFinance
Ethermac|Russian warships depart Cuba after visit following military exercises
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-07 01:32:02
A fleet of Russian warships,Ethermac including a nuclear-powered submarine, left Havana's port on Monday after a five-day visit to Cuba following planned military drills in the Atlantic Ocean. The exercise has been seen by some as a show of strength by Moscow against the backdrop of tensions as U.S. and other Western nations support Kyiv in Russia's war on Ukraine.
The submarine, a frigate, an oil tanker and a rescue tug slowly departed from the port on Monday morning.
It's unclear what the fleet's next destination is or where it will dock next in the Caribbean, although U.S. officials said days ago that the vessels could possibly also stop in Venezuela.
Officials with the Biden administration said last week that they were monitoring the vessels and confirmed that they did not pose a threat to the region or indicate a transfer of missiles. Still, the United States docked a submarine, the USS Helena, at its Guantanamo Bay Naval Base in Cuba.
The American naval base, located in the southeastern part of the island about 1,000 kilometers (625 miles) from the capital of Havana, is considered by the Cuban government to be illegally occupied territory.
Last week, the Russian ships arrived at the port after the Russian Ministry of Defense reported that the fleet successfully conducted military drills in the Atlantic Ocean, simulating a missile attack on targets that could be more than 600 kilometers (375 miles) away.
The fleet, made up of the frigate "Gorshkov," the nuclear-powered submarine "Kazan," the tanker "Pashin," and the tug "Nikolai Chiker," was received in Havana with a 21-gun salute.
Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel visited the frigate on Saturday and interacted with the sailors, according to a post by the president on the social media platform X, formerly known as Twitter.
Meanwhile, Cuban Deputy Foreign Minister Carlos Fernández de Cossío rejected the presence of the American submarine at Guantanamo Base, stating it was unwelcome and uninvited.
A State Department spokesperson said last week that Russia's port calls in Cuba are "routine naval visits" and do not pose any danger.
On Thursday, a day after arriving, hundreds of people lined up to visit the frigate. The ship was also open to the public on Saturday, which is a common practice when vessels arrive at the port.
Canada's navy patrol boat Margaret Brooke entered the Havana harbor on Friday.
- In:
- Caribbean
- Cuba
- Russia
- Atlantic Ocean
veryGood! (12)
Related
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Most of passengers from battered Singapore Airlines jetliner arrive in Singapore from Bangkok
- Protesters against war in Gaza interrupt Blinken repeatedly in the Senate
- Boston Celtics benefit from costly Indiana Pacers turnovers to win Game 1 of East finals
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Daily marijuana use outpaces daily drinking in the US, a new study says
- Priyanka Chopra Debuts Bob Haircut to Give Better View of $43 Million Jewels
- Congolese army says it has foiled a coup attempt. Self-exiled opposition figure threatens president
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- As Trump Media reported net loss of more than $320 million, share prices fell 13%
Ranking
- Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
- As Trump Media reported net loss of more than $320 million, share prices fell 13%
- MIT-educated brothers accused of stealing $25 million in cryptocurrency in 12 seconds in Ethereum blockchain scheme
- From London to Los Angeles, many Iranians overseas cheer, and fear, after president’s death
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Summer House's Lindsay Hubbard Reveals If She's Dating Again 9 Months After Carl Radke Breakup
- Retired judge finds no reliable evidence against Quebec cardinal; purported victim declines to talk
- Abi Carter is the newest 'American Idol' winner: Look back at her best moments this season
Recommendation
Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
May 2024 full moon rises this week. Why is it called the 'flower moon'?
Vatican makes fresh overture to China, reaffirms that Catholic Church is no threat to sovereignty
When is Pat Sajak’s last show on ‘Wheel of Fortune’? Release date, where to watch
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
How to get a free 6-piece chicken nugget from McDonald's this Wednesday
Wordle, the daily obsession of millions
Alaska man killed in moose attack was trying to take photos of newborn calves, troopers say