Current:Home > FinanceEagles release 51-year-old former player nearly 30 years after his final game -FutureFinance
Eagles release 51-year-old former player nearly 30 years after his final game
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 23:30:29
Every day, the NFL transaction wire has dozens of names, mostly of players who are on the fringe of NFL rosters or are dealing with some sort of injury.
So it was a shock when former Philadelphia Eagles offensive lineman Bernard Williams, who hadn't played in almost three decades, found out he was cut by the team that drafted him in 1994.
Williams, now 51, told the Philadelphia Inquirer that he was driving his Amazon delivery route earlier this week and got a text from an NFL scout that he coached in high school.
“He said, ‘I saw it come across the wire,’” Williams said. “This came out of nowhere."
The Eagles drafted Williams with the 14th overall pick in the 1994 draft.
NFL STATS CENTRAL: The latest NFL scores, schedules, odds, stats and more.
Williams played his rookie season, then was suspended for six games in 1995 and then banned again for the rest of the season. He never played an NFL down after that and never applied for reinstatement. Williams had remained on the suspended list ever since.
“It was about me dealing with personal stuff,” Williams told the newspaper. “A lot of grief at that point in my life that I hadn’t dealt with. I really needed to take some time off, but I couldn’t. Marijuana was my crutch during that time. Pretty much, I just wanted to be home. I applaud the young athletes like Simone Biles who are taking time off to deal with their personal issues and mental health. If I was given that opportunity back then, I think I would’ve played a lot longer than I did.”
Williams returned to football in 2000, playing for the Canadian Football League, the Arena Football League and the XFL.
“I think I could’ve played 10, 15 years and been a Hall of Fame player,” Williams said. “I think my talent was that great. But I also think football isn’t life and it’s never been for me. I do love football, but I love myself more. I think about the $50 million down the drain, maybe $100 million down the drain, but when I was rich I wasn’t happy. The money doesn’t bother me.”
An Eagles spokesman told NBC Sports Philadelphia that NFL officials contacted the team recently and explained that they were clearing out decades-old players on various reserve lists when Williams’ name surfaced.
veryGood! (7748)
Related
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Russia’s ‘General Armageddon’ reportedly dismissed after vanishing in wake of Wagner uprising
- Ethiopia launching joint investigation with Saudi Arabia after report alleges hundreds of migrants killed by border guards
- Body of skier believed to have died 22 years ago found on glacier in the Austrian Alps
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- RHOA's Shereé Whitfield Speaks Out About Ex Bob Whitfield's Secret Daughter
- Halle Berry and Ex Olivier Martinez Officially Finalize Divorce After Nearly 8-Year Legal Battle
- Notre Dame vs. Navy in Ireland: Game time, how to watch, series history and what to know
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- The Fukushima nuclear plant’s wastewater will be discharged to the sea. Here’s what you need to know
Ranking
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- West Virginia governor appoints chief of staff’s wife to open judge’s position
- 'Floodwater up to 3 feet high' Grand Canyon flooding forces evacuations, knocks out power
- Wagner mercenary leader, Russian mutineer, ‘Putin’s chef': The many sides of Yevgeny Prigozhin
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- Gunfire in Pittsburgh neighborhood prompts evacuations, standoff; person later pronounced dead
- Justice Department announces charges against hundreds of alleged COVID-19 fraudsters
- 3 best ways to invest for retirement
Recommendation
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Texas elementary school students escape injuries after a boy fires a gun on a school bus
Giants tight end Tommy Sweeney collapses from ‘medical event,’ in stable condition
Simon Cowell raves over 'AGT' mother-son fire stunt act, Howie Mandel says 'it's just wrong'
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
Aaron Rodgers no longer spokesperson for State Farm after 12-year partnership, per report
AGT's Howie Mandel Jokes Sofía Vergara Is In the Market Amid Joe Manganiello Divorce
Southern Indiana egg farmer John Rust announces bid for Republican nod for US Senate in 2024.