Current:Home > News56 French stars defend actor Gerard Depardieu despite sexual misconduct allegations -FutureFinance
56 French stars defend actor Gerard Depardieu despite sexual misconduct allegations
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 21:03:50
PARIS (AP) — More than 50 French performers, writers and producers published an essay Tuesday defending film star and national icon Gerard Depardieu amid growing scrutiny of his behavior toward women during his five-decade career. Advocates for sexual abuse victims expressed dismay at the outpouring of support.
Depardieu was handed preliminary rape and sexual assault charges in 2020 following allegations from actor Charlotte Arnould, and has been accused by more than a dozen other women of harassing, groping or sexually assaulting them. Depardieu denies wrongdoing, and called the essay ‘’beautiful.’’
Published Tuesday in the conservative-leaning Le Figaro, it was signed by figures including former first lady and singer Carla Bruni, Depardieu’s former partner Carole Bousquet, and actors Pierre Richard, Charlotte Rampling and Victoria Abril. Two dozen of the 56 signatories were women. Many are from Depardieu’s generation; he is 74.
A recent documentary outlined accusations of sexual misconduct by 16 women against Depardieu, and showed the actor making obscene remarks and gestures during a 2018 trip to North Korea. The France-2 documentary prompted calls by some to stop airing Depardieu’s films, which include classics of modern French cinema.
In response, Tuesday’s essay says: ’’We cannot remain silent in the face of the lynching targeting him, the torrent of hate being dumped on his personality.
‘’When Gerard Depardieu is targeted this way, it is the art (of cinema) that is being attacked,’’ it said. ‘’France owes him so much. ... Depriving ourselves of this immense actor would be a drama, a defeat. The death of the art. Our art.’’
Paris lawmaker and feminist Raphaëlle Rémy-Leleu said the signatories are experiencing a ‘’denial of reality.’’ She said she would have preferred for them to support initiatives against sexual violence instead.
’’They are refusing to see what this man did … because he is an artist,″ she told broadcaster France-Info.
Emmanuelle Dancourt, whose #MeTooMedia group supports sexual misconduct victims in the media industry, said on BFM television that the essay’s message is particularly painful for victims of sexual abuse by powerful men.
French President Emmanuel Macron also drew ire when he said last week that Depardieu ’’makes France proud.″
The recent documentary includes a segment where Depardieu is heard making crude sexual comments about a young girl riding a horse. Macron suggested that the segment could have been edited in a misleading way. France Televisions, which broadcast the documentary, later said that the segment in question was authenticated by a bailiff who viewed the raw footage.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
- Maine would become 27th state to ban paramilitary training under bill passed by House
- Alabama court ruled frozen embryos are children. Experts explain potential impacts to IVF treatment.
- Green Bay schools release tape of first Black superintendent’s comments that preceded resignation
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Ghost gun manufacturer agrees to stop sales to Maryland residents
- When do new episodes of 'Love is Blind' Season 6 come out? See full series schedule
- Sam Bankman-Fried makes court appearance to switch lawyers before March sentencing
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Richonne rises in ‘The Walking Dead: The Ones Who Live’ starring Andrew Lincoln and Danai Gurira
Ranking
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Bipartisan bill aims to make it safer for pedestrians to cross dangerous streets
- Ye spotted wearing full face mask in Italy with Bianca Censori, Ty Dolla $ign: See the photos
- Financially struggling Met Opera to present 18 productions next season, the fewest since 1980-81
- Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
- Flint man becomes first person charged under Michigan’s new gun storage law
- Machine Gun Kelly reveals massive black tattoo: See the photo
- Massive sun-devouring black hole found 'hiding in plain sight,' astronomer say
Recommendation
Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
An unusual criminal case over handwritten lyrics to ‘Hotel California’ goes to trial Wednesday
College student who shares flight information for Taylor Swift's jet responds to her lawyers' cease-and-desist: Look What You Made Me Do
Capital One is acquiring Discover: What to know about the $35 billion, all-stock deal
Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
Woman, 4 children and 3 dogs found dead after suspicious fire at Missouri home
Tom Holland Shares Euphoric Shoutout to Girlfriend Zendaya
Bipartisan bill aims to make it safer for pedestrians to cross dangerous streets