Current:Home > MyChainkeen|Family agrees to settle lawsuit against officer whose police dog killed an Alabama man -FutureFinance
Chainkeen|Family agrees to settle lawsuit against officer whose police dog killed an Alabama man
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 04:30:54
MONTGOMERY,Chainkeen Ala. (AP) — The family of a man killed by a police dog in Montgomery, Alabama, has agreed to settle its federal lawsuit against the police officer who handled the animal, but their lawyers said Friday that they plan to appeal a ruling that cleared the city of responsibility.
The confidential settlement was reached in July in the 2019 lawsuit against Montgomery officer Nicholas Barber, who was responsible for the K9 that attacked and killed then 50-year-old Joseph Pettaway in 2018.
Pettaway was sleeping in a small house where he was employed as a handyman when officers responded to a call that reported an unknown occupant, according to court documents. Almost immediately after the officers arrived, Barber released the dog into the house where it found Pettaway and bit into his groin.
The bite severed Pettaway’s femoral artery, autopsy reports showed. Officers took Pettaway outside where he bled out while waiting for paramedics, according to family’s lawsuit.
“I hope that the case for the family brings some closure for something that is a long time coming,” said their attorney, Griffin Sikes.
The Associated Press has investigated and documented thousands of cases across the U.S. where police tactics considered non-lethal have resulted in fatalities. The nationwide database includes Pettaway’s case.
The lawsuit also named the City of Montgomery and its police chief at the time, Ernest Finley, alleging that the officers had been trained not to provide first aid.
“The Supreme Court has decided that cities and counties are responsible for administering medical care when they arrest somebody,” said Sikes. “We think they failed to do that in this case, and it is not a failure of the individual officers, but a failure of the city that says you’re not to provide medical care”
The claims against the city and the chief were dismissed, but Sikes said the Pettaway family plans on appealing.
Attorneys for Barber, Finley and the City of Montgomery did not respond to an emailed request for comment sent by The Associated Press on Friday morning.
Body camera recordings showing what happened have never been made public. It took years of litigating for the Pettaway family and their lawyers to see them. The judge sided with the city, which said revealing them could create “potential for protests which could endanger the safety of law enforcement officers, the public and private property.”
U.S. Magistrate Judge Jerusha T. Adams suggested that the family was “attempting to try this case in the informal court of public opinion, rather than in the courtroom.”
___
Riddle reported from Montgomery. Riddle is a corps member for The Associated Press/Report for America Statehouse News Initiative. Report for America is a nonprofit national service program that places journalists in local newsrooms to report on undercovered issues.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- 2 more endangered Florida panthers struck and killed by vehicles, wildlife officials say
- Man, 40, is fatally shot during exchange of gunfire with police in southwestern Michigan
- Claire Keegan's 'stories of women and men' explore what goes wrong between them
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- 86-year-old man dies after his son ran over him repeatedly at a Florida bar, officials say
- Pumpkin pie or apple? A state-by-state guide to people's favorite Thanksgiving pies
- Pumpkin pie or apple? A state-by-state guide to people's favorite Thanksgiving pies
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Looking to save in a Roth IRA next year? Here's what you need to know.
Ranking
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Pope removes conservative critic Joseph Strickland as bishop of Tyler, Texas
- Why Jacob Elordi Is Throwing Shade at Ridiculous Kissing Booth Movies
- Why villagers haven't left a mudslide prone mountain — and how a novel plan might help
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Arby's debuts new meal inspired by 'Good Burger 2' ahead of movie's release on Paramount+
- South Korea and members of the US-led UN command warn North Korea over its nuclear threat
- Nepal's government bans TikTok, saying it disrupts social harmony
Recommendation
Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
Climate change affects your life in 3 big ways, a new report warns
Free Krispy Kreme: How to get a dozen donuts Monday in honor of World Kindness Day
Nepal's government bans TikTok, saying it disrupts social harmony
South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
Patrick Mahomes confirms he has worn the same pair of underwear to every single game of his NFL career
Former police chief in Indiana arrested, faces felony charges on theft, fraud
Native American tribes fight US over a proposed $10B renewable energy transmission line