Current:Home > reviewsMichigan fake elector defendants want case dropped due to attorney general’s comments -FutureFinance
Michigan fake elector defendants want case dropped due to attorney general’s comments
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 18:05:39
LANSING, Mich. (AP) — A second defendant accused in a fake elector scheme in Michigan is looking for criminal charges to be thrown out after the state attorney general said that the group of 16 Republicans “genuinely” believed former President Donald Trump won the 2020 election.
The 16 Michigan Republicans are facing eight criminal charges, including forgery and conspiracy to commit election forgery. Investigators say the group met following the 2020 election and signed a document falsely stating they were Michigan’s “duly elected and qualified electors.”
President Joe Biden won the state by nearly 155,000 votes, a result that was confirmed by a GOP-led state Senate investigation in 2021.
Two defendants in the case are now asking for charges to be thrown out after Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel told a liberal group during a Sept. 18 virtual event that the false electors had been “brainwashed” and “genuinely” believed Trump won in Michigan.
“They legit believe that,” said Nessel, a Democrat who announced criminal charges in the fake elector scheme in July.
Nessel also said in the video that Ingham County — where the hearings will be held and the jury will be selected from — is a “a very, very Democratic-leaning county.”
Kevin Kijewski, an attorney for the defendant Clifford Frost, said in a motion to dismiss filed Tuesday that Nessel’s comments are an “explicit and clear admission” that there wasn’t intent to defraud. Kijewski told The Associated Press that he expected the motion to be taken up at a previously scheduled Oct. 6 hearing.
An attorney for another accused fake elector, Mari-Ann Henry, also filed a motion to dismiss Tuesday and said the attorney general’s comment should “nullify the government’s entire case.”
Danny Wimmer, a spokesperson for Nessel’s office, said in response to a request for comment that the office “will respond to the motion in our filings with the Court.”
John Freeman, a former federal prosecutor who is now representing the defendant Marian Sheridan, told AP that Nessel’s comments left him “stunned” and called them “a gift for my client.” He said he still evaluating whether to file a motion to dismiss the charges.
The intent behind the defendants’ actions will be at the center of the case, said Tom Leonard, a former Michigan assistant attorney general He was also the Republican nominee for Michigan attorney general in 2018, losing to Nessel.
“I don’t think there’s any argument that the action was there. The question is: What did these defendants intend to do when they showed up and signed those documents?” Leonard said. “Nessel, the state’s chief law enforcement officer who put that pen to paper charging these defendants, has now openly said that the intent was not there.”
All 16 defendants have pleaded not guilty. Henry and several others, including former Michigan GOP co-chair Meshawn Maddock, are scheduled to appear for a preliminary examination hearing on Oct. 12.
veryGood! (1)
Related
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Embattled Sacramento City Council member resigns following federal indictment
- Average long-term mortgage rates edge higher, snapping 9-week slide
- UC Berkeley walls off People’s Park as it waits for court decision on student housing project
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Police in Kenya follow lion footprints from abandoned motorcycle, find dead man
- What can ordinary taxpayers learn from the $700m Shohei Ohtani baseball megadeal?
- Rage Against the Machine won't tour or perform live again, drummer Brad Wilk says
- Small twin
- A Look at Bradley Cooper's Surprisingly Stacked History
Ranking
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Don Read, who led Montana to first national college football title, dies at 90
- Jeffrey Epstein document release highlights his sprawling connections across states
- Glynis Johns, who played Mrs. Banks in 'Mary Poppins,' dead at 100: 'The last of old Hollywood'
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Glynis Johns, ‘Mary Poppins’ star who first sang Sondheim’s ‘Send in the Clowns,’ dies at 100
- A judge in Oregon refuses to dismiss a 2015 climate lawsuit filed by youth
- New York City subway train derails in collision with another train, injuring more than 20 people
Recommendation
A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
Strike kills 12 people, mostly children, in Gaza area declared safe zone by Israel
Keke Palmer Says She’s “Never Been So Happy” in Her Life Despite Darius Jackson Drama
Alice Hoffman’s new book will imagine Anne Frank’s life before she kept a diary
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Who is Natalia Grace? What to know about subject of docuseries, ‘Natalia Speaks’
Kendall Jenner Leaves Little to the Imagination in Tropical Bikini Photos
Jeffrey Epstein contact names released by court. Here are key takeaways from the unsealed documents.