Current:Home > MyFormer DC employee convicted of manslaughter in fatal shooting of 13-year-old boy -FutureFinance
Former DC employee convicted of manslaughter in fatal shooting of 13-year-old boy
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 21:18:50
WASHINGTON (AP) — A former Washington, D.C., city employee was found guilty of manslaughter Friday in the fatal shooting of an unarmed 13-year-old boy that sparked public uproar in the nation’s capital.
Jurors found Jason Lewis, 42, not guilty of second-degree murder, but convicted him of manslaughter and other charges after the trial in D.C. Superior Court over the killing of seventh grader Karon Blake.
Lewis, a longtime Parks and Recreation Department employee, turned himself last year to face charges in Blake’s killing, which happened in January 2023 around 4 a.m., across the street from the middle school Blake attended, authorities said.
Lewis was seen on video leaving his house and firing at two young people who had been breaking into cars, prosecutors said. After a car was hit with gunfire, Blake ran in Lewis’ direction, and Lewis fired two shots, killing him, prosecutors said.
Prosecutors played for jurors a video in which Blake could be heard repeatedly saying “I’m sorry” and telling Lewis, “I’m just a kid,” according to media reports.
An attorney for Lewis didn’t immediately respond to an email seeking comment from The Associated Press on Friday.
Lewis took the witness stand in the case, arguing that he acted in self-defense. He told jurors that he though he saw an other person open fire on him and feared for his life, local media reported.
He is scheduled to be sentenced in October. The manslaughter charge carries up to 45 years in prison.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Stephen Strasburg retires, will be paid remainder of contract after standoff with Nationals
- What time is the 2024 solar eclipse? Here's when you should look up in your area
- Driver flees after California solo car crash kills 9-year-old girl, critically injures 4 others
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- French diver Alexis Jandard slips during Paris Olympic aquatics venue opening ceremony
- 2 dead after car crash with a Washington State Patrol trooper, authorities say
- Jelly Roll's private plane makes emergency landing on way to CMT Awards: 'That was scary'
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- JPMorgan’s Dimon warns inflation, political polarization and wars are creating risks not seen since WWII
Ranking
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- See the evidence presented at Michelle Troconis' murder conspiracy trial
- Cargo ship stalled near bridge on NY-NJ border, had to be towed for repairs, officials say
- Solar eclipse maps show 2024 totality path, peak times and how much of the eclipse you can see across the U.S.
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- When is the next total solar eclipse in the US after 2024 and what is its path? What to know
- The Rock, John Cena, Undertaker bring beautiful bedlam to end of WrestleMania 40
- Purdue's Matt Painter has been one of best coaches of his generation win or lose vs. UConn
Recommendation
Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
After magical, record-breaking run, Caitlin Clark bids goodbye to Iowa on social media
What's next for Caitlin Clark? Her college career is over, but Iowa star has busy months ahead
Blue's Clues' Steve Burns Shares His Thoughts on Quiet on Set Docuseries
How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
Caitlin Clark, not unbeaten South Carolina, will be lasting memory of season
What Is Keith Urban’s Top Marriage Advice After 17 Years With Nicole Kidman? He Says…
What's next for Caitlin Clark? Her college career is over, but Iowa star has busy months ahead