Current:Home > reviewsSignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center:Jonathan Majors’ Marvel ouster after assault conviction throws years of Disney’s plans into disarray -FutureFinance
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center:Jonathan Majors’ Marvel ouster after assault conviction throws years of Disney’s plans into disarray
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 03:53:55
NEW YORK (AP) — Marvel had more riding on SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank CenterJonathan Majors than perhaps any other actor. Now it’s parting ways with him, and throwing years of plans for its cinematic universe in disarray.
Marvel Studios and the Walt Disney Co. dropped Majors from all future projects following the actor’s conviction for assault and harassment on Monday, according to a person close to the studio who spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn’t authorized to speak publicly on the matter.
The swift move by Disney marked a stunning about-face for an actor who had been one of Hollywood’s fastest-rising stars. A Manhattan jury on Monday found the 34-year-old Majors guilty of one misdemeanor assault charge and one harassment violation for a March altercation with his then-girlfriend Grace Jabbari.
Majors, who was acquitted of a different assault charge and of aggravated harassment, will be sentenced on Feb. 6. He declined to comment as he left the courthouse. Majors’ attorney, Priya Chaudhry, said in a statement that “it is clear that the jury did not believe Grace Jabbari’s story of what happened in the SUV because they found that Mr. Majors did not intentionally cause any injuries to her.”
“Mr. Majors still has faith in the process and looks forward to fully clearing his name,” said Chaudhry.
As the superhero studio prepared phase five of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, it cast the highly acclaimed Majors as the antagonist Kang the Conqueror. The character was to span several films and series as the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s next-phase answer to Thanos, the villain of “Avengers: Endgame.”
Majors had already appeared in “ Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania” and the first two seasons of “Loki.” He was to star in “Avengers: The Kang Dynasty,” dated for release in May 2026.
The future of “The Kang Dynasty” is now unclear. Disney declined to comment on whether it will recast the role of Kang or pivot in a new direction.
The studio has been preparing for the possibility of Majors’ exit from the franchise. But Marvel was limited in its ability to fashion rewrites due to the screenwriters strike that ran from May to late September. The studio recently hired screenwriter Michael Waldron to rework “The Kang Dynasty.”
For Marvel, Majors’ departure adds to a series of recent setbacks. Though its box-office success — nearly $30 billion worldwide from 33 films — is unsurpassed in movie history, the superhero factory has recently seen some atypical struggles. “The Marvels,” released in November, has been the MCU’s worst performer in theaters, with $204 million in worldwide ticket sales.
Majors also recently starred as a troubled amateur bodybuilder in “Magazine Dreams,” which made an acclaimed debut at the Sundance Film Festival in January and was acquired by the Disney-owned indie distributor Searchlight Pictures. Following its premiere, an Oscar nomination for Majors was widely predicted.
“Magazine Dreams” had been dated to open in theaters in Dec. 8. But ahead of Majors’ trial, Searchlight removed the film from its release calendar. Instead, on Dec. 8 t ext messages from Majors were read in the fifth day of the trial. In one, Majors begged Jabbari not to seek medical attention for a head injury sustained in 2022 , warning she had “no perspective of what could happen” if the truth got out.
In late February as “Creed III,” starring Majors alongside Michael B. Jordan, was being released, Majors spoke in an interview with The Associated Press in the neighborhood of Chelsea, just a few blocks away from where his fight with Jabbari would weeks later spill out onto New York streets.
Majors then sounded acutely aware that his rapid new fame carried the risk of a downfall.
“Though I’ve not seen the boogeyman, I know it’s out there,” Majors said. “And I’ve been around to know it’s comin’. I won’t go down my rabbit hole of death, but it’s comin’. But you outrun it. You just stay out of the frame. I’ll stay out of the frame.”
___
Associated Press writer Jennifer Peltz contributed to this report
veryGood! (6278)
Related
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Turkish minister says Somalia president’s son will return to face trial over fatal highway crash
- Danish police arrest several people suspected of planning terror attacks
- An investigation opens into the death of a French actress who accused Depardieu of sexual misconduct
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Danish police arrest several people suspected of planning terror attacks
- Dismayed by Moscow’s war, Russian volunteers are joining Ukrainian ranks to fight Putin’s troops
- Busy Philipps' 15-Year-Old Birdie Has Terrifying Seizure at School in Sweden
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Finland to close again entire border with Russia as reopening of 2 crossing points lures migrants
Ranking
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- These 50 Top-Rated Amazon Gifts for Women With Thousands of 5-Star Reviews Will Arrive By Christmas
- How should you talk to kids about Santa? Therapist shares what is and isn’t healthy.
- Horoscopes Today, December 14, 2023
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Watch: Rare blonde raccoon a repeat visitor to Iowa backyard, owner names him Blondie
- The Scarf Jacket Is Winter’s Most Viral Trend, Get It for $27 With These Steals from Amazon and More
- Earliest version of Mickey Mouse set to become public domain in 2024, along with Minnie, Tigger
Recommendation
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
Former British soldier to stand trial over Bloody Sunday killings half a century ago
The family of a Chicago woman who died in a hotel freezer agrees to a $10 million settlement
2023: The year we played with artificial intelligence — and weren’t sure what to do about it
Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
These 50 Top-Rated Amazon Gifts for Women With Thousands of 5-Star Reviews Will Arrive By Christmas
Rising stock markets around the world in 2023 have investors shouting ‘Hai’ and ‘Buy’
Congo’s presidential election spotlights the deadly crisis in the east that has displaced millions