Current:Home > ScamsSafeX Pro Exchange|Funeral home owners accused of storing nearly 200 decaying bodies to enter pleas -FutureFinance
SafeX Pro Exchange|Funeral home owners accused of storing nearly 200 decaying bodies to enter pleas
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-07 01:31:58
COLORADO SPRINGS,SafeX Pro Exchange Colo. (AP) — The owners of a Colorado funeral home where nearly 200 decaying bodies were found last year in a squat building filled with decomposition fluids and swarms of bugs are set to enter their pleas Thursday on criminal charges.
Jon and Carie Hallford are accused of corpse abuse, falsifying death certificates and sending fake ashes to families who then spread the cremated remains or kept them for years believing they belonged to their loved ones.
The disturbing details of the case left families grasping for answers, their grieving processes shattered after the deaths of sons, grandmothers and parents. Some have said they can’t shake thoughts of what their decaying relatives’ bodies must have looked like.
Its one of several criminal cases to rock Colorado’s funeral industry. A funeral home was accused of selling body parts between 2010 and 2018, and last month, a funeral home owner in Denver was arrested after authorities say he left a woman’s body in the back of a hearse for over a year and hoarded cremated remains at his home.
The horror stories follow years of inaction by state lawmakers to bring Colorado’s lax funeral home regulations up to par with the rest of the country. There are no routine inspections of funeral homes in the state and no educational requirements for funeral home directors, who don’t even need a high school degree, let alone a degree in mortuary science, or to pass an exam.
Colorado lawmakers have proposed bills to overhaul funeral home oversight. They would require routine inspections and hefty licensing requirements for funeral home directors and other industry roles.
Concerns over the mishandling of bodies at the Hallfords’ funeral home were raised by a county coroner more than three years before the 190 bodies were discovered.
Prosecutors previously said Jon Hallford expressed concerns about getting caught as far back as 2020 and suggested getting rid of the bodies by dumping them in a big hole, then treating them with lye or setting them on fire.
The Hallfords operated Return to Nature Funeral Home in Colorado Springs, about an hour south of Denver, and the storage facility in Penrose southwest of Colorado Springs. They spent payments received from families of the deceased on cryptocurrency, a $1,500 dinner in Las Vegas and two vehicles with a combined worth over $120,000, officials said in a previous court hearing.
The Hallfords each face about 190 counts of abuse of a corpse, along with charges of theft, money laundering and forgery.
Carie Hallford’s attorney, Michael Stuzynski, declined to comment on the case. Jon Hallford is being represented by an attorney from the public defenders’ office, which does not comment on cases.
___
Bedayn is a corps member for the Associated Press/Report for America Statehouse News Initiative. Report for America is a nonprofit national service program that places journalists in local newsrooms to report on undercovered issues.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Tampa Bay Avoided the Worst of Milton’s Wrath, But Millions Are Suffering After the Second Hurricane in Two Weeks Raked Florida
- A hurricane scientist logged a final flight as NOAA released his ashes into Milton’s eye
- Reese Witherspoon Reacts to Daughter Ava Phillippe's Message on Her Mental Health Journey
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Shelter-in-place ordered for 2 east Texas cities after chemical release kills 1 person
- Former inmates with felony convictions can register to vote under new provisions in New Mexico
- 'Need a ride?' After Hurricanes Helene and Milton hit this island, he came to help.
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Guy Gansert of 'Golden Bachelorette' speaks out as ex-wife's restraining order request is revealed
Ranking
- B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
- Joan Smalls calls out alleged racist remark from senior manager at modeling agency
- If you mute Diddy songs, what about his hits with Mary J. Blige, Mariah, J. Lo and more?
- 12 rescued from former Colorado gold mine after fatality during tour
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Guy Gansert of 'Golden Bachelorette' speaks out as ex-wife's restraining order request is revealed
- Photos capture Milton's damage to Tropicana Field, home of Tampa Bay Rays: See the aftermath
- The drownings of 2 Navy SEALs were preventable, military investigation finds
Recommendation
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
Guy Gansert of 'Golden Bachelorette' speaks out as ex-wife's restraining order request is revealed
See the Saturday Night Cast vs. the Real Original Stars of Saturday Night Live
Back-to-back hurricanes reshape 2024 campaign’s final stretch
This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds Donate $1 Million to Hurricane Helene and Milton Relief Efforts
'It's gone': Hurricane Milton damage blows away retirement dreams in Punta Gorda
Fans of Anne Hathaway and Nicholas Galitzine's Idea of You Need This Update