Current:Home > reviewsToronto Blue Jays No. 2 prospect, shortstop Orelvis Martínez, suspended for PED violation -FutureFinance
Toronto Blue Jays No. 2 prospect, shortstop Orelvis Martínez, suspended for PED violation
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 04:10:39
Just two days after he made his MLB debut, the top non-pitching prospect in the Toronto Blue Jay organization, shortstop Orelvis Martínez, has been busted for performance-enhancing drugs.
MLB announced Sunday that Martínez will be suspended 80 games without pay for a positive test for Clomiphene, which is a medication often prescribed to women who are having trouble ovulating. Clomiphene is on the list of banned substances, triggering a violation of MLB's Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.
The suspension is effective immediately.
The Major League Baseball Players Association released a statement Sunday on behalf of Martínez, in which he said he had spent the last two years trying to start a family with his girlfriend and was prescribed a medication called Rejun 50 at a fertility clinic in the Dominican Republic.
"We wanted to keep this matter private, even within our family, and trusted the doctor who assured us this treatment did not include performance-enhancing drugs," Martínez said in the statement. "Therefore, I made the mistake of not disclosing this to my team or the MLBPA.
All things Blue Jays: Latest Toronto Blue Jays news, schedule, roster, stats, injury updates and more.
"With that said, I took full responsibility for my negligence and accepted my suspension."
Martínez also apologized to the organization and fans and said he will return to the field in September.
Martínez, 22, is the 68th-ranked prospect in baseball and is behind only pitcher Ricky Tiedemann (No. 38) in the Blue Jays organization. On Friday, he made his Major League debut in a 7-1 loss against the Cleveland Guardians, securing his first career hit in a 1-for-3 showing.
The hit came to lead off the sixth inning, and was a soft line drive over the shortstop on a 83 mph breaking ball. After the game, Martínez posed for photos with his members of his family who were in attendance, and fellow Dominican baseball star, José Ramírez, a third baseman for the Guardians.
Martínez had been called up to the Blue Jays on Tuesday, replacing shortstop Bo Bichette, who went on the 10-day injured list with a calf strain.
"The Blue Jays fully support Major League Baseball’s Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program, and strongly believe in keeping the game on a level playing field," general manager Ross Atkins said Sunday in a statement. "We were both surprised and disappointed to learn of Orelvis Martínez’s suspension. We will do everything in our power to ensure Orelvis has learned from this mistake. Orelvis has our support, and we know he will get through this."
In 63 games with the Buffalo Bisons, Toronto's Triple-A affiliate, Martínez hit .260, with 16 home runs with 46 RBIs.
veryGood! (26)
Related
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Raquel Leviss Wants to Share Unfiltered Truth About Scandoval After Finishing Treatment
- Warming Trends: The ‘Cranky Uncle’ Game, Good News About Bowheads and Steps to a Speedier Energy Transition
- Climate Change Will Hit Southern Poor Hardest, U.S. Economic Analysis Shows
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Raquel Leviss Wants to Share Unfiltered Truth About Scandoval After Finishing Treatment
- Vanderpump Rules' Lala Kent Slams Narcissist Tom Sandoval For Ruining Raquel Leviss' Life
- Man fishing with his son drowns after rescuing 2 other children swimming at Pennsylvania state park
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- How Khloe Kardashian Is Setting Boundaries With Ex Tristan Thompson After Cheating Scandal
Ranking
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- The Supreme Court Sidesteps a Full Climate Change Ruling, Handing Industry a Procedural Win
- Proof Tom Holland Is Marveling Over Photos of Girlfriend Zendaya Online
- Judge Clears Exxon in Investor Fraud Case Over Climate Risk Disclosure
- Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
- Shooting leaves 3 dead, 6 wounded at July Fourth celebration in Shreveport, Louisiana
- Ousted Standing Rock Leader on the Pipeline Protest That Almost Succeeded
- Maternal deaths in the U.S. more than doubled over two decades with Black mothers dying at the highest rate
Recommendation
Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
Orlando officer fatally shoots man who made quick movement during traffic stop
All-transgender and nonbinary hockey team offers players a found family on ice
Why Vanderpump Rules' Tom Schwartz Feels Angst Toward Tom Sandoval After Affair
Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
As Special Envoy for Climate, John Kerry Will Be No Stranger to International Climate Negotiations
What's closed and what's open on the Fourth of July?
China Ramps Up Coal Power Again, Despite Pressure to Cut Emissions