Current:Home > StocksAfrican leaders react as Israel declares war on Hamas -FutureFinance
African leaders react as Israel declares war on Hamas
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-07 04:10:39
LONDON -- Six days on since Hamas’ unprecedented multifront attack on Israel, world leaders are reacting as Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu formally declared war on Hamas, setting the stage for a large-scale military operation.
The incursion -- dubbed operation “Al-Aqsa Storm” by Hamas -- was the largest and most devastating assault on Israel since the Yom Kippur War in 1973. Militants entered Gaza early Saturday through land, air and sea, leaving behind a tail of terror.
In response, Israel officially declared a state of war, launching "Operation Swords of Iron," striking suspected Hamas and Islamic Jihad targets in Gaza.
Meanwhile, Israel also announced a "complete siege" of Gaza -- the enclave home to 2.3 million people -- by cutting off fuel, electricity, food, and water.
At least 2,553 lives have been lost so far in the conflict with at least 1,200 killed in Israel with another 2,900 injured according to the Israeli Health Service. In Gaza, at least 1,354 have been killed and over 6,000 injured according to the Palestinian Health Authority.
In a televised address, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu thanked the world for "standing with Israel," calling Hamas’ attack a "mistake of historic proportions."
“We will exact a price that will be remembered by them and Israel’s other enemies for decades to come,” said Netanyahu.
In Africa, leaders have been reacting to the conflict since Saturday’s surprise attack, condemning Hamas’ assault. However, their responses reveal divisions among the continent on the source of the conflict and who is to blame.
At least two African nationals have been accounted for in the conflict, the Israel Foreign Ministry announcing two Tanzanians were among international civilians attacked in Hamas’s surprise attack on Israel.
In a statement, Tanzania’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said Tanzania "mourns" with the families of Israelis and Palestinians who lost their lives, saying “We condemn all forms of violence … We call for restraint to stem further loss of human life.”
In another statement, African Union (AU) Chairperson Moussa Faki Mahamat expressed "utmost concern" at the outbreak of violence that has had "grave consequences" for the lives of Israeli and Palestinian people.
Mahamat emphasized the failure of long-term international efforts to solve the crisis, saying “The Chairperson wishes to recall the fundamental rights of the Palestinian people, particularly that of an independent and sovereign State, is the main cause of the permanent Israeli-Palestinian tension.”
Morocco’s King Mohammed VI called for an emergency meeting of the Arab League Council at the headquarters in Cairo on Wednesday to discuss the deteriorating situation, saying the Kingdom of Morocco “expresses deep concern” while condemning the “attacks against civilians wherever they may be.”
In the "extraordinary session" of Arab League Nations, Morocco’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Nasser Bourita, emphasized Morocco’s “full and unwavering support” for Palestine, describing the political deadlock over the Palestinian issue as a “persistence of systematic violations and oppressive unilateral measures in Al-Quds and the Occupied Palestinian Territories.”
Algeria’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs too expressed support for Palestine, saying it is following “with deep concern the escalation of barbaric Zionist aggression against the Gaza Strip, which has cost the lives of dozens of innocent children of the Palestinian people, who have fallen as martyrs to the stubbornness of the Zionist occupation in its policy of oppression and persecution imposed on the valiant Palestinian people”.
In neighboring Tunisia, citizens took to the streets to rally for Palestine as national protests happened on Thursday with more planned for Friday. The U.S. Embassy in Tunis said on Wednesday it would close for routine services on Thursday and Friday in an "abundance of caution," adding that it received no credible threat.
In eastern Africa, Kenya’s President William Ruto “unequivocally” condemned terrorism by Hamas, adding Kenya stands in solidarity with the State of Israel:
“In consideration of the complex and delicate context of the security situation in Israel-Palestine, Kenya also makes a call for the de-escalation of violence,” said Ruto.
South Africa has also called for the cessation of violence, adding the region is in urgent and “desperate need of a credible peace process.”
South Africa also urged resumption of talks on a two-state solution:
“[South Africa] seeks to ensure a lasting and durable peace that produces a viable, contiguous Palestinian State, existing side-by-side in peace with Israel, within the 1967 internationally recognised borders, with East Jerusalem as its capital," in a statement issued by the government.
South African President Cyril Ramaphosa announced that South Africa is ready to help mediate in the conflict, saying “South Africa stands ready to work with the international community and to share our experience in mediation and conflict resolution as we have done on the continent and around the world.”
Meanwhile, Nigeria called for a "de-escalation and ceasefire" through dialogue, adding it was “deeply concerned” by the outbreak of violence.
“The cycle of violence … only serves to perpetuate an unending cycle of pain and suffering for the civilian population that bear the brunt of every conflict,” Nigerian officials warned.
veryGood! (33)
Related
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Helicopter carrying National Guard members and Border Patrol agent crashes in Texas, killing 3
- What's going on with Ryan Garcia? Boxer's behavior leads to questions about April fight
- Some fans at frigid Chiefs-Dolphins playoff game underwent amputations, hospital confirms
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Amy Schumer Is Kinda Pregnant While Filming New Movie With Fake Baby Bump
- Apple reverses course and clears way for Epic Games to set up rival iPhone app store in Europe
- NH troopers shoot and kill armed man during a foot pursuit with a police dog, attorney general says
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Utah man serenaded by Dolly Parton in final wish dies of colon cancer at 48
Ranking
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- Why Fans Think Ariana Grande’s New Music Is About ex Dalton Gomez
- Dakota Johnson and Chris Martin Engaged: Inside Their Blissful Universe
- Female representation remains low in US statehouses, particularly Democrats in the South
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Treat Williams' death: Man pleads guilty to reduced charge in 2023 crash that killed actor
- Lawsuit accuses Portland police officer of fatally shooting unarmed Black man in the back
- Q&A: The Latest in the Battle Over Plastic Bag Bans
Recommendation
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
Eugene Levy reunites with 'second son' Jason Biggs of 'American Pie' at Hollywood ceremony
Appeal canceled, plea hearing set for Carlee Russell, woman who faked her own abduction
A bill that could lead to a nation-wide TikTok ban is gaining momentum. Here’s what to know
Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
Queer Eye's Tan France Responds to Accusations He Had Bobby Berk Fired From Show
Michigan residents urged not to pick up debris from explosive vaping supplies fire that killed 1
Books on Main feels like you're reading inside a tree house in Wisconsin: See inside