Current:Home > MarketsOhio court refers case brought by citizens’ group against Trump, Vance to prosecutors -FutureFinance
Ohio court refers case brought by citizens’ group against Trump, Vance to prosecutors
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 18:16:10
SPRINGFIELD, Ohio (AP) — An Ohio court has referred to county prosecutors a criminal case brought by a citizens’ group against the Republican presidential and vice presidential candidates over their comments about Haitian immigrants but rejected the group’s call to issue arrest warrants or misdemeanor summons.
Springfield officials said in a statement Saturday that the Clark County municipal court found no probable cause to issue warrants or summons on misdemeanor charges against former president Donald Trump and his running mate, Ohio Sen. JD Vance. “The matter was then referred to the Clark County prosecutor’s office for further investigation,” city officials said.
The Springfield News-Sun reports that the judicial panel said particular consideration should be given to “the strong constitutional protections afforded to speech, and political speech in particular” with the election so close and the “contentious” nature of the issue of immigration.
The Haitian Bridge Alliance, a nonprofit group representing the Haitian community, last month invoked a private-citizen right to file charges over the chaos and threats experienced since Trump first spread false claims about legal immigrants there during a presidential debate.
“Their persistence and relentlessness, even in the face of the governor and the mayor saying this is false, that shows intent,” said the group’s attorney, Subodh Chandra of the Cleveland-based Chandra Law Firm. “It’s knowing, willful flouting of criminal law.”
Steven Cheung of the Trump-Vance campaign said the former president was “rightfully highlighting the failed immigration system that (Vice President) Kamala Harris has overseen, bringing thousands of illegal immigrants pouring into communities like Springfield and many others across the country.”
The 15,000 to 20,000 Haitian immigrants who have arrived in Springfield over the past several years — in many cases after being recruited to local jobs — have been granted “temporary protected status” to be in the U.S. legally.
“It is crucial to foster discussions around sensitive issues, particularly those concerning immigration, with a commitment to truth and integrity,” Springfield officials said. The city said it was “dedicated to promoting constructive dialogue and addressing community concerns transparently” and added that “the safety and well-being of all residents, including the Haitian immigrant community, continue to be our highest priority.”
veryGood! (66816)
Related
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- Michael Kors’ Secret Sale on Sale Is Here—Score an Extra 20% off Designer Handbags & More Luxury Finds
- Dakota Johnson's Underwear Story Involving Barack Obama Will Turn You Fifty Shades of Red
- Democrats challenge Ohio order preventing drop-box use for those helping voters with disabilities
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Shawn Johnson Reveals the Milestone 9-Month-Old Son Bear Hit That Nearly Gave Her a Heart Attack
- Vance exuded calm during a tense debate stage moment. Can he keep it up when he faces Walz?
- Georgia-Alabama just means less? With playoff expansion, college football faces new outlook
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Kendra Wilkinson Shares Rare Update on Her Kids Hank and Alijah
Ranking
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Appalachian State-Liberty football game canceled due to flooding from Hurricane Helene
- Beware: 'card declined' message could be the sign of a scam
- Joliet, Illinois, Plans to Source Its Future Drinking Water From Lake Michigan. Will Other Cities Follow?
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- The State Fair of Texas opens with a new gun ban after courts reject challenge
- Indianapolis man sentenced to 189 years for killing 3 young men found along a path
- Georgia-Alabama just means less? With playoff expansion, college football faces new outlook
Recommendation
Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
Stephen Amell was focused on 'NCIS' spinoff when he landed 'Suits' gig
Playoff clinching scenarios for MLS games Saturday; Concacaf Champions Cup spots secured
Walz has experience on a debate stage pinning down an abortion opponent’s shifting positions
Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
Playoff clinching scenarios for MLS games Saturday; Concacaf Champions Cup spots secured
Playoff clinching scenarios for MLS games Saturday; Concacaf Champions Cup spots secured
As political scandal grips NYC, a fictional press conference puzzles some New Yorkers