Current:Home > MarketsLawyer for Jontay Porter says now-banned NBA player was ‘in over his head’ with a gambling addiction -FutureFinance
Lawyer for Jontay Porter says now-banned NBA player was ‘in over his head’ with a gambling addiction
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 19:24:40
Jontay Porter, the former Toronto Raptors forward who was given a lifetime ban by the NBA because of a sports betting scandal, was “in over his head” with a gambling addiction, his lawyer said Friday.
Jeff Jensen, a government investigations attorney in St. Louis, also said in a statement provided to The Associated Press that Porter is cooperating with investigators.
“Jontay is a good young man with strong faith that will get him through this. He was in over his head due to a gambling addiction. He is undergoing treatment and has been fully cooperative with law enforcement,” Jensen said. It was his first statement since a league probe found Porter disclosed confidential information to sports bettors and wagered on games, including betting on the Raptors to lose.
Also Friday a fourth man was arrested in the scandal as Ammar Awawdeh, 32, turned himself in following the arrests of three co-defendants earlier this week.
A court complaint accuses Awawdeh of pressing an NBA athlete, identified only as “Player 1,” to resolve gambling debts by leaving games early. The tactic, which the two called a “special,” would guarantee a payout for anyone who bet on him to underperform in those games, according to the document.
Using an encrypted messaging app, Awawdeh wrote early this year that he was “forcing” the player to do it and told him: “Screenshot this,” the complaint said.
Awawdeh, who helps run his family’s New York City corner stores, was arraigned and released on $100,000 bond to home detention, with ankle monitoring. His lawyer, Alan Gerson, declined to comment on the allegations.
Porter is not charged in the case or named in the complaint. But details about Player 1 match up with those in an NBA probe that resulted in his lifetime ban in April. The league found that he bet on NBA games in which he didn’t play and pulled himself out of at least one so that a wager would pay over $1 million for a bettor who had been tipped off.
Awawdeh and his co-defendants — Timothy McCormack, Mahmud Mollah and Long Phi Pham — used prior knowledge of Player 1’s plans so they or their relatives could place lucrative bets on his performance in Jan. 26 and March 20 games, according to the complaint.
Porter played only briefly on those dates before leaving the court complaining of injury or illness.
A betting company ultimately stopped Mollah from collecting most of his more than $1 million in winnings on the March 20 game, according to the complaint.
The defendants, who are charged with conspiracy to commit wire fraud, have not entered pleas. Their attorneys have declined to comment except for McCormack’s lawyer, Jeffrey Chartier, who said that “no case is a slam dunk.”
___
Haigh reported from Hartford, Connecticut.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- 'Wait Wait' for October 28, 2023: With Not My Job guest Bernie Taupin
- Poultry companies ask judge to dismiss ruling that they polluted an Oklahoma watershed
- How many muscles are in the human body? The answer may surprise you.
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Colombian police continue search for father of Liverpool striker Díaz
- Skeletons discovered in incredibly rare 5,000-year-old tomb in Scotland
- Fed up with mass shootings, mayors across nation call for gun reform after 18 killed in Maine
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- AP Top 25: Oklahoma slips to No. 10; Kansas, K-State enter poll; No. 1 UGA and top 5 hold steady
Ranking
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Russians commemorate victims of Soviet repression as a present-day crackdown on dissent intensifies
- Talks on Ukraine’s peace plan open in Malta with officials from 65 countries — but not Russia
- African tortoise reunites with its owner after being missing for 3 years in Florida
- Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
- Poultry companies ask judge to dismiss ruling that they polluted an Oklahoma watershed
- Last Beatles song, Now And Then, will be released Nov. 2 with help from AI
- 49ers QB Brock Purdy cleared to start against Bengals after concussion in Week 7
Recommendation
House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
Anchorage’s oldest building, a Russian Orthodox church, gets new life in restoration project
Colorado DB Shilo Sanders ejected after big hit in loss to UCLA
Man charged in killing of Nat King Cole’s great-nephew
Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
'Wait Wait' for October 28, 2023: With Not My Job guest Bernie Taupin
NASCAR Martinsville playoff race 2023: Start time, TV, streaming, lineup for Xfinity 500
Israel strikes near Gaza’s largest hospital after accusing Hamas of using it as a base