Current:Home > MarketsRekubit-First Lahaina residents return home to destruction after deadly wildfires -FutureFinance
Rekubit-First Lahaina residents return home to destruction after deadly wildfires
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-07 03:16:54
For the first time since the deadly wildfire on RekubitAug. 8, some Lahaina residents will be allowed back into their homes Monday morning in what is expected to be an emotional day in the historic Maui town.
Residents and business owners in some of the first zones to be cleared by the Environmental Protection Agency will be allowed to go into the destruction area with escorts.
Officials warn that the neighborhoods they once called home may be almost unrecognizable.
"I think some people will have a hard time even saying 'this is my property. I can't recognize it anymore,'" said Darryl Oliveira, the interim administrator of the Maui Emergency Management Agency, in a Thursday press conference.
He continued, "So we want to really support them in this process."
About 464 properties have been cleared by the EPA so far. More than 2,200 structures were damaged in the blazes.
MORE: Remembering Lahaina: Family loses ancestral home in the Maui wildfires
Residents will be escorted to the disaster area for the first two visits, so officials, cultural leaders, mental health and healthcare specialists and others can offer support.
"Some [residents] might be looking for closure with recovering personal effects, even right down to if they lost the loved one that is unaccounted for, maybe the collection of something that would give them closure as a memento of that person's passing," said Oliveira.
At least 97 people have been declared dead, with tens of others deemed unaccounted for.
Visitation will be limited to those who are residents and those who are affiliated with properties, as well as anyone needed to accommodate visitors such as insurance adjusters or faith-based leaders for support.
MORE: Lahaina's Filipino community 'bracing for the worst' in Maui wildfire recovery efforts
"We're just trying to have a system that we can manage and ensure the right people are going in," said Oliveira. "Again, it's with the utmost respect for the residents and property owners who need to go in, need to have that moment of closure, need that time to grieve.
Residents can then return on their own during their third visit.
Officials said personal protective equipment will be given out, including coveralls, booties, respirators and N95 masks.
West Maui is set to open on Oct. 8, the second-month mark of the wildfire. The decision from local officials has sparked outraged among some residents, who have yet to revisit their destroyed homes and are still displaced.
veryGood! (93838)
Related
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Where is the SIM card in my iPhone? Here's how to remove it easily.
- A man is charged with causing a car crash that killed an on-duty Tucson police officer in March
- President Joe Biden calls Japan and India ‘xenophobic’ nations that do not welcome immigrants
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Biden forgives $6.1 billion in student debt for 317,000 borrowers. Here's who qualifies for relief.
- Violence erupts at UCLA as pro-Palestinian protesters, counter-protesters clash
- 5th victim’s body recovered from Baltimore Key Bridge collapse, 1 still missing
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- One Tech Tip: How to repair an electric toothbrush
Ranking
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Kristi Yamaguchi: Dorothy Hamill doll inspired me. I hope my Barbie helps others dream big.
- Faceless people, invisible hands: New Army video aims to lure recruits for psychological operations
- Ex-FBI informant charged with lying about Bidens must remain jailed, appeals court rules
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- These Jaw-Dropping Met Gala Looks Are Worthy Of Their Own Museum Display
- Robert De Niro accused of berating pro-Palestinian protesters during filming for Netflix show
- Police in Fort Worth say four children are among six people wounded in a drive-by shooting
Recommendation
Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
Art the Clown set to return in 'Terrifier 3' this October: 'I don't want people fainting'
Brittney Griner says she thought about killing herself during first few weeks in Russian jail
A retired teacher saw inspiration in Columbia’s protests. Eric Adams called her an outside agitator
NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
House committee delays vote on bill to allow inmates to participate in parole hearings
Grizzly bears coming back to Washington state as some decry return of 'apex predator'
Man says his emotional support alligator, known for its big social media audience, has gone missing