Current:Home > StocksIllinois man accused in mass shooting at Fourth of July parade expected to change not-guilty plea -FutureFinance
Illinois man accused in mass shooting at Fourth of July parade expected to change not-guilty plea
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 23:24:14
WAUKEGAN, Ill. (AP) — A man accused of killing seven people and injuring dozens more at a Fourth of July parade in suburban Chicago in 2022 is expected to change his initial plea of not guilty at a hearing Wednesday.
Robert Crimo III is scheduled to face trial in February on dozens of charges, including murder and attempted murder, for the shooting in Highland Park. Lake County prosecutors confirmed last week that Crimo may change his not guilty plea at a hearing set for Wednesday morning, about a week before the two-year anniversary of the mass shooting.
The statement released by Lake County State’s Attorney Eric Rinehart’s office did not provide more detail on the expected changes or how it could influence sentencing. Crimo would face a mandatory sentence of life without parole if convicted of first-degree murder.
The public defender’s office, which is defending Crimo, didn’t return a request for comment last week and generally does not comment on its cases.
The criminal case has proceeded slowly for months. At one point, Crimo insisted he wanted to fire his public defenders and represent himself. He abruptly reversed that decision weeks later.
Authorities have said the accused gunman confessed to police in the days after he opened fire from a rooftop in Highland Park, an affluent suburb that is home to about 30,000 people near the Lake Michigan shore. They said he initially fled to the Madison, Wisconsin, area and contemplated a second shooting at a parade there but returned to Chicago’s northern suburbs.
Those killed in the attack were Katherine Goldstein, 64; Jacquelyn Sundheim, 63; Stephen Straus, 88; Nicolas Toledo-Zaragoza, 78; and Eduardo Uvaldo, 69, and married couple Kevin McCarthy, 37, and Irina McCarthy, 35.
The McCarthys’ 2-year-old son was found alone at the scene and eventually reunited with extended family members.
All of them were from the Highland Park area except for Toledo-Zaragoza, who was visiting family in the city from Morelos, Mexico.
The violence focused attention on Highland Park’s 2013 ban on semi-automatic weapons and large-capacity magazines. Illinois officials have long contended that legal and illegal weapons are easily purchased in surrounding states, hampering even the toughest local laws’ effectiveness.
Authorities said that Crimo, a resident of nearby Highwood, legally purchased the rifle. But he first applied for a state gun license in 2019 when he was 19, too young to apply independently in Illinois.
His father sponsored the application, though police reports show that months earlier a relative reported to police that Crimo III had threatened to “kill everyone” and had made several threats to kill himself.
Prosecutors initially charged the father, Robert Crimo Jr., with seven felony counts of reckless conduct and he pleaded guilty in November to seven misdemeanor counts of reckless conduct. He was sentenced to 60 days in jail and released early for good behavior.
___
For more on the shooting, go to https://apnews.com/hub/highland-park-july-4-shooting
veryGood! (92)
Related
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- NCAA Division I board proposes revenue distribution units for women's basketball tournament
- Pakistani man with ties to Iran is charged in plot to carry out political assassinations on US soil
- Tropical Storm Debby swirls over Atlantic, expected to again douse the Carolinas before moving north
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- 'Choose joy': Daughter of woman killed by Texas death row inmate finds peace
- The Latest: Harris and Walz kick off their 2024 election campaign
- Illinois Gov. Pritzker criticizes sheriff for hiring deputy who fatally shot Sonya Massey
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- 2024 Olympics: Why Simone Biles Addressed MyKayla Skinner's Comments Amid Win
Ranking
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Enjoy this era of U.S. men's basketball Olympic superstars while you still can
- US ambassador to Japan to skip A-bomb memorial service in Nagasaki because Israel was not invited
- What investors should do when there is more volatility in the market
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- The Daily Money: Recovering from Wall Street's manic Monday
- How to prepare for a leadership role to replace a retiring employee: Ask HR
- PHOTO COLLECTION: Harris and Walz first rally in Philadelphia
Recommendation
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Why is 'Brightwood' going viral now? Here's what's behind the horror sensation
Amit Elor, 20, wins women's wrestling gold after dominant showing at Paris Olympics
Billy Bean, second openly gay ex-MLB player who later worked in commissioner’s office, dies at 60
A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
Spain vs. Brazil highlights: Brazil holds off comeback, will play for Olympic gold
Why is 'Brightwood' going viral now? Here's what's behind the horror sensation
As the Paris Olympics wind down, Los Angeles swings into planning for 2028