Current:Home > MyMexico cancels conference on 1960s and 1970s rights violations raising claims of censorship -FutureFinance
Mexico cancels conference on 1960s and 1970s rights violations raising claims of censorship
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 22:31:51
Mexico’s Department of the Interior reportedly revoked funding on Friday for a conference on the government’s violent anti-insurgency policy from the 1960s to the 1980s, raising claims of censorship.
The conference had been scheduled to begin in two days time. Organizers said they were forced to cancel the event, which would have focused on the period known in Mexico as the “dirty war.”
The decision has caused confusion among academics, some of whom have accused the government of censoring debate about an infamously violent period of modern Mexican history.
The event, hosted by the Colegio de Mexico, would have included presentations from historians from the United Kingdom to Argentina, members of Mexico’s “dirty war” inquiry panel, and officials from the Department of the Interior itself.
One of the speakers, academic and human rights activist Sergio Aguayo, first announced the news on the social media platform X, formerly Twitter, claiming a government official had expressed concerns to him that “enemies of the government” were participating in the conference.
“There are different points of view because that is why there is academic freedom,” Aguayo posted, calling the government’s decision “absurd.”
The government’s “dirty war” inquiry, which was co-organizing the event, later confirmed on social media that funding had been cut, and the conference was cancelled.
The Department of the Interior has not acknowledged the cancellation and did not respond to The Associated Press’ request for comment.
Since 2021, government officials have been investigating historic crimes committed during the period when the government waged a campaign of violence against leftist guerillas, dissidents and social movements in the 1960s, 70s and ’80s.
They withdrew their inquiry last month, however, after discovering military officials were allegedly destroying, hiding and altering documents.
Even decades later, over 2,300 victims of the “dirty war” or their relatives are thought to be alive today, many still searching for justice, investigators announced in their latest findings.
veryGood! (368)
Related
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Joe Burrow’s home broken into during Monday Night Football in latest pro
- Aaron Taylor
- Rooftop Solar Keeps Getting More Accessible Across Incomes. Here’s Why
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Biden says he was ‘stupid’ not to put his name on pandemic relief checks like Trump did
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Analysis: After Juan Soto’s megadeal, could MLB see a $1 billion contract? Probably not soon
Ranking
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- 'Wicked' sing
- A fugitive gains fame in New Orleans eluding dart guns and nets
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- 'Unimaginable situation': South Korea endures fallout from martial law effort
- Man identifying himself as American Travis Timmerman found in Syria after being freed from prison
- Blast rocks residential building in southern China
Recommendation
What to watch: O Jolie night
As a Major California Oil Producer Eyes Carbon Storage, Thousands of Idle Wells Await Cleanup
'Squirrel stuck in a tree' tops funniest wildlife photos of the year: See the pictures
'We are all angry': Syrian doctor describes bodies from prisons showing torture
Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
Fatal Hougang stabbing: Victim was mum of 3, moved to Singapore to provide for family
Here's how to make the perfect oven
Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams