Current:Home > FinanceRays shortstop Wander Franco faces lesser charge as Dominican judge analyzes evidence -FutureFinance
Rays shortstop Wander Franco faces lesser charge as Dominican judge analyzes evidence
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 04:19:45
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) — Wander Franco is facing a lesser charge after a judge in the Dominican Republic analyzed evidence that alleges the Tampa Bay Rays shortstop had a relationship with a 14-year-old girl and paid her mother thousands of dollars for her consent.
Originally accused of commercial and sexual exploitation and money laundering — charges that carry up to 30 years, 10 years and 20 years of prison respectively — Franco now stands accused instead of sexual and psychological abuse, according to a judge’s resolution that The Associated Press obtained on Tuesday.
Franco has not been formally accused, but if found guilty on the new charge, he could face between two to five years in prison.
Dominican law allows authorities to detain a suspect while prosecutors gather evidence to support their accusations, with a judge later determining whether there is sufficient evidence for charges to be formally filed and the case to move forward.
In his decision, Judge Romaldy Marcelino observed that prosecutors gave the case against Franco a different and more serious treatment because “the accused is a professional MLB player,” he said, referring to Major League Baseball. He didn’t elaborate.
HOT STOVE UPDATES: MLB free agency: Ranking and tracking the top players available.
The judge also determined that the money Franco is accused of giving the teen’s mother cannot be considered payment for the girl’s alleged services since the mother requested money after finding out about their relationship, which lasted four months, according to evidence collected by prosecutors.
The girl’s 35-year-old mother also is charged in the case and remains under house arrest. The original charges of money laundering still stand against her. The AP is not naming the woman in order to preserve her daughter’s privacy.
Franco was conditionally released Monday from a jail in the northern province of Puerto Plata after being detained for a week. He was ordered to pay 2 million Dominican pesos ($34,000) as a type of deposit and is required to meet with authorities once a month in the Dominican Republic as the investigation continues.
Franco was having an All-Star season before being sidelined in August, when Dominican authorities began investigating claims he had been in a relationship with a minor. Major League Baseball launched its own investigation, placing Franco on the restricted list on Aug. 14 before moving him to administrative leave on Aug. 22. Both investigations are ongoing.
Franco signed a $182 million, 11-year contract in 2021. His salary last year and this year is $2 million per season.
veryGood! (553)
Related
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Here's what Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift said to each other after Super Bowl win
- Man arrested in Jackie Robinson statue theft, Kansas police say
- So you think you know all about the plague?
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Nebraska GOP bills target college professor tenure and diversity, equity and inclusion
- Katy Perry reveals she is leaving American Idol after upcoming season
- Alabama lawmakers want to change archives oversight after dispute over LGBTQ+ lecture
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- Unlocking desire through smut; plus, the gospel of bell hooks
Ranking
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Pop culture that gets platonic love right
- Republican Michigan elector testifies he never intended to make false public record
- Police investigate altercation in Maine in which deputy was shot and residence caught fire
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Maple Leafs' Morgan Rielly suspended five games for cross-check to Senators' Ridly Greig
- Marathon world record-holder Kelvin Kiptum, who was soaring toward superstardom, killed in car crash in Kenya
- Alligator snapping turtle found far from home in English pond, is promptly named Fluffy
Recommendation
Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
I felt like I was going to have a heart attack: Michigan woman won $500k from scratcher
Mayor says Chicago will stop using controversial gunshot detection technology this year
Mississippi governor announces new law enforcement operation to curb crime in capital city
Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
Tom Ford's Viral Vanilla Sex Perfume Is Anything But, Well, You Know
Married 71 years, he still remembers the moment she walked through the door: A love story
The S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq fall as traders push back forecasts for interest rate cuts