Current:Home > ContactPrincess Kate makes public return for King Charles III's birthday amid cancer treatments -FutureFinance
Princess Kate makes public return for King Charles III's birthday amid cancer treatments
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-07 05:07:25
Princess Kate is back after five months away from public life amid her cancer diagnosis.
The Princess of Wales returned to public life, riding in a carriage with her three children, for Trooping the Colour on Saturday. The event is a ceremonial celebration and military parade commemorating the reigning British monarch's birthday, although King Charles III's birthdate falls on Nov. 14.
Kate, who turned heads in a chic white fitted dress with an oversized white and black ribbon, her hair swept up, with a matching hat, watched the ceremony from a window overlooking the parade ground. She accessorized with white heels, pearl earrings and brooch, and a structured black clutch. She shared moments from the event with her three children: Prince George, 10; Princess Charlotte, 9; and Prince Louis, 6.
When she returned to the carriage at the end, the princess smiled and waved at the welcoming crowds.
On Friday, Kensington Palace surprised royal onlookers with news of Princess Kate's return in a press release shared with USA TODAY, along with a new photo of Kate.
The release accompanied an Instagram photo of Princess Kate, standing underneath a tree in a shaded area, posted to the official Prince and Princess of Wales Instagram account.
Kate, 42, has undergone preventative chemotherapy since her cancer announcement in March and in the Friday statement, she provided an update on her health — and clarified this appearance is not a full return to work, writing that she is "starting to do a little work from home."
"My treatment is ongoing and will be for a few more months. On the days I feel well enough, it is a joy to engage with school life, spend personal time on the things that give me energy and positivity," she wrote.
In a personal written message on Friday, she said she was making good progress but was "not out of the woods". She said she was looking forward to attending Saturday's parade and hoped to join a few public engagements over the summer.
Kate spent two weeks in hospital in January after she underwent major abdominal surgery, and announced in a March video message that tests confirmed she had been diagnosed with cancer after weeks of tabloid speculation and online conspiracy theories about her whereabouts.
British royals show united front amid two cancer diagnoses at Trooping the Color
The British Royal Family showcased a united front for the world as King Charles III and Queen Camilla waved to supporters on the balcony with their grandchildren Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis close by as well as their parents, Prince William and Princess Kate.
The balcony moment also marked the first time Princess Kate and the king, who was also diagnosed with cancer earlier this year, have appeared in public together since sharing their health journeys with the public.
Parade attendees call Princess Kate's public royal return 'fabulous'
Before the parade, onlookers said they were looking forward to seeing the princess.
"I know it's the king's birthday, but all eyes will be on Kate because we haven't seen her for a while," said John Loughrey, who was wearing a T-shirt with pictures of Kate on it.
Another onlooker, Anne Gaely, who was carrying a life-size cardboard cutout of the princess, said she was relieved that Kate would be there in the flesh.
"We've all been very, very worried and uneasy about it, but now this is going to be joyful, euphoric, and fabulous," she said.
Contributing: David Milliken, Reuters with additional reporting by Marissa Davison, Reuters
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- China’s earthquake survivors endure frigid temperatures and mourn the dead
- Tesla’s recall of 2 million vehicles to fix its Autopilot system uses technology that may not work
- Teens struggle to identify misinformation about Israel-Hamas conflict — the world's second social media war
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Why Luke Bryan Is Raising One Margarita to Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce’s Romance
- Poland’s new government appoints new chiefs for intelligence, security and anti-corruption agencies
- Céline Dion lost control over her muscles amid stiff-person syndrome, her sister says
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- In a season of twists and turns, these 10 games decided the College Football Playoff race
Ranking
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Cause remains unclear for Arizona house fire that left 5 people dead including 3 young children
- Washington man charged in 4 murders lured victims with promises of buried gold: Court docs
- Ancient curse tablet targeting unlucky pair unearthed by archaeologists in Germany
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Rodgers’ return will come next season with Jets out of playoff hunt and QB not 100% healthy
- Groups sue over new Texas law that lets police arrest migrants who enter the US illegally
- New York will set up a commission to consider reparations for slavery
Recommendation
San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
Minnesota's new state flag design is finalized
Amy Robach says marriage to T.J. Holmes is 'on the table'
Drew Lock gives emotional interview after leading Seahawks to last-minute win over Eagles
The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
Animal cruelty charges spur calls for official’s resignation in Pennsylvania county
Court in Germany convicts a man inspired by the Islamic State group of committing 2 knife attacks
Nevada high court upholds sex abuse charges against ‘Dances With Wolves’ actor Nathan Chasing Horse