Current:Home > MyFederal officials will investigate Oklahoma school following nonbinary teenager’s death -FutureFinance
Federal officials will investigate Oklahoma school following nonbinary teenager’s death
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 04:13:19
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — Federal officials are opening an investigation into the Oklahoma school district where a nonbinary 16-year-old high school student was in a fight before dying last month, according to a letter sent by the U.S. Department of Education on Friday.
Nex Benedict, whose family says the teen was bullied at Owasso High School, died a day after the fight inside a girl’s bathroom at the school. According to family, Benedict identified as nonbinary and used they/them pronouns.
The letter revealing the investigation was addressed to the Human Rights Campaign, which had asked the the department to look into Owasso Public Schools and “its failure to respond appropriately to sex-based harassment that may have contributed to the tragic death.”
Police in the Tulsa suburb have not released a cause of death but have previously said that Benedict did not die as a result of injuries from the fight, which happened on Feb. 8.
The department’s Office For Civil Rights stated it would investigate whether the district “failed to appropriately respond to alleged harassment,” according to the letter, which makes no reference to Benedict.
Owasso Public Schools confirmed in a statement that the district received notice of the investigation and called the allegations unsupported and without merit.
“The district is committed to cooperating with federal officials,” the statement said.
Neither police nor school officials have said what led to the fight. But Benedict’s family has said there had been harassment because of the teen’s nonbinary identity.
“We appreciate the Department of Education responding to our complaint and opening an investigation — we need them to act urgently so there can be justice for Nex, and so that all students at Owasso High School and every school in Oklahoma can be safe from bullying, harassment, and discrimination,” Human Rights Campaign President Kelley Robinson said in a statement.
Benedict walked out of the bathroom after the Feb. 7 fight but was taken to a hospital by their family and sent home that night. Paramedics were dispatched to the home the following day for a medical emergency and took Benedict to a hospital emergency room, where they later died, police said.
Benedict’s mother, Sue Benedict, has said the teen suffered bruises all over their face and eyes in the fight involving a transgender student and three older girls.
The school district has said the students were in the restroom for less than two minutes before the fight was broken up by other students and a staff member.
veryGood! (23287)
Related
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Ronda Rousey says 'I got no reason to stay' in WWE after SummerSlam loss
- Electricity rates in Texas skyrocket amid statewide heat wave
- Have we reached tipping fatigue? Bars to coffee shops to carryouts solicit consumers
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- 'Sound of Freedom' funder charged with child kidnapping amid controversy, box office success
- 'Less lethal shotguns' suspended in Austin, Texas, after officers used munitions on 15-year-old girl
- Biden is creating a new national monument near the Grand Canyon
- What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
- Hiker found dead on remote Phoenix trail was probably a victim of the heat, authorities say
Ranking
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Daniel Penny defense fund raises millions -- and alarm bells for some
- William Friedkin, director of 'The Exorcist' and 'The French Connection,' dead at 87
- Worker injured as explosion at Texas paint plant sends fireballs into sky
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Man arrested in shooting death of 9-year-old in Chicago, police say
- Kia recall: Over 120,000 Niro, Niro EV cars recalled for risk of engine compartment fire
- Ex-student accused in California stabbing deaths is mentally unfit for trial
Recommendation
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
England advances at World Cup despite Lauren James' red card in Round of 16 versus Nigeria
Stormy weather across northern Europe kills at least 1 person, idles ferries and delays flights
Riverdale’s Madelaine Petsch Celebrates Anniversary With Boyfriend Anthony Li
2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
Music Review: Neil Young caught in his 1970s prime with yet another ‘lost’ album, ‘Chrome Dreams’
Former Georgia lieutenant governor says he received grand jury subpoena
Riverdale’s Madelaine Petsch Celebrates Anniversary With Boyfriend Anthony Li