Current:Home > ContactDefense seeks to undermine accuser’s credibility in New Hampshire youth center sex abuse case -FutureFinance
Defense seeks to undermine accuser’s credibility in New Hampshire youth center sex abuse case
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 17:25:16
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — Lawyers for a man charged with raping a teenage girl at a youth holding facility in New Hampshire tried to erode the accuser’s credibility at trial Wednesday, suggesting she had a history of lying and changing her story.
Now 39, Natasha Maunsell was 15 and 16 when she was held at the Youth Detention Services Unit in Concord. Lawyers for Victor Malavet, 62, who faces 12 counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault, say she concocted the allegations in hopes of getting money from a civil lawsuit.
Testifying for a second day at Malavet’s trial, Maunsell acknowledged that she denied having been sexually assaulted when asked in 2002, 2017 and 2019. She said she lied the first time because she was still at the facility and feared retaliation, and again in the later years because she didn’t think anyone would believe her.
“It had been so long that I didn’t think anybody would even care,” she said. “I didn’t think it would matter to anyone … so I kept it in for a long time.”
The Associated Press does not typically identify people who say they were sexually assaulted unless they have come forward publicly, as Maunsell has done. She is among more than 1,100 former residents of youth facilities who are suing the state alleging abuse that spanned six decades.
Malavet’s trial opened Monday. It is the first criminal trial arising from a five-year investigation into allegations of abuse at the Sununu Youth Services Center in Manchester, though unlike the other eight men facing charges, Malavet worked at a different state-run facility where children were held while awaiting court disposition of their cases.
Under questioning from defense lawyer Maya Dominguez, Maunsell acknowledged Wednesday that she lied at age 15 when she told a counselor she had a baby, and that in contrast to her trial testimony, she did not tell police in 2020 that Malavet had kissed her or that he had assaulted her in a storage closet. But she denied the lawyer’s claim that she appeared “angry or exasperated” when questioned about Malavet in 2002.
“I appeared scared,” she said after being shown a video clip from the interview. “I know me, and I looked at me, and I was scared.”
Maunsell also rebutted two attempts to portray her as a liar about money she received in advance of a possible settlement in her civil case. After Dominguez claimed she spent $65,000 on a Mustang, Maunsell said “mustang” was the name of another loan company. And when Dominguez showed her a traffic incident report listing her car as a 2021 Audi and not the 2012 Audi she testified about, Maunsell said the report referred to a newer rental car she was given after she crashed the older car.
In the only civil case to go to trial so far, a jury awarded David Meehan $38 million in May for abuse he says he suffered at the Youth Development Center in the 1990s, though the verdict remains in dispute.
Together, the two trials highlight the unusual dynamic of having the state attorney general’s office simultaneously prosecute those accused of committing offenses and defend the state. While attorneys for the state spent much of Meehan’s trial portraying him as a violent child, troublemaking teenager and a delusional adult, state prosecutors are relying on Mansell’s testimony in the criminal case.
veryGood! (5751)
Related
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Trump’s Repeal of Stream Rule Helps Coal at the Expense of Climate and Species
- Climate Change Is Cutting Into the Global Fish Catch, and It’s on Pace to Get Worse
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Involved in Near Catastrophic 2-Hour Car Chase With Paparazzi
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Not Trusting FEMA’s Flood Maps, More Storm-Ravaged Cities Set Tougher Rules
- Get $640 Worth of Skincare for Just $60: Peter Thomas Roth, Sunday Riley, EltaMD, Tula, Elemis, and More
- Midwest Convenience Stores Out in Front on Electric Car Charging
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Shoppers Can’t Get Enough of This Sol de Janeiro Body Cream and Fragrance With 16,800+ 5-Star Reviews
Ranking
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Meet the self-proclaimed dummy who became a DIY home improvement star on social media
- Video shows man struck by lightning in Woodbridge Township, New Jersey, then saved by police officer
- Harvard Medical School morgue manager accused of selling body parts as part of stolen human remains criminal network
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- 86-year-old returns George Orwell's 1984 to library 65 years late, saying it needs to be read more than ever
- The science that spawned fungal fears in HBO's 'The Last of Us'
- Keystone XL, Dakota Pipelines Will Draw Mass Resistance, Native Groups Promise
Recommendation
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Dear Life Kit: My husband is living under COVID lockdown. I'm ready to move on
Ron DeSantis wasn't always a COVID rebel: Looking back at the Florida governor's initial pandemic response
How seniors could lose in the Medicare political wars
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
Alleged Pentagon leaker Jack Teixeira indicted by federal grand jury
In Battle to Ban Energy-Saving Light Bulbs, GOP Defends ‘Personal Liberty’
In Charleston, S.C., Politics and Budgets Get in the Way of Cutting Carbon Emissions