Current:Home > MarketsPolice charge director of Miss Nicaragua pageant with running ‘beauty queen coup’ plot -FutureFinance
Police charge director of Miss Nicaragua pageant with running ‘beauty queen coup’ plot
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 19:48:10
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Nicaraguan police said Friday they want to arrest the director of the Miss Nicaragua pageant, accusing her of intentionally rigging contests so that anti-government beauty queens would win the pageants as part of a plot to overthrow the government.
The charges against pageant director Karen Celebertti would not be out of place in a vintage James Bond movie with a repressive, closed off government, coup-plotting claims, foreign agents and beauty queens.
It all started Nov. 18, when Miss Nicaragua, Nicaragua’s Sheynnis Palacios won the Miss Universe competition. The government of President Daniel Ortega briefly thought it had scored a rare public relations victory, calling her win a moment of “legitimate joy and pride.”
But the tone quickly soured the day after the win when it emerged that Palacios had posted photos of herself on Facebook participating in one of the mass anti-government protests in 2018.
More to the story:
- Nicaragua’s increasingly isolated and repressive government thought it had scored a rare public relations victory last week when Miss Nicaragua Sheynnis Palacios won the Miss Universe competition.
- But “the legitimate joy and pride” President Daniel Ortega’s government expressed in a statement Sunday after the win quickly turned to angry condemnation.
- It emerged that Palacios apparently participated in the 2018 protests against the regime.
- Ordinary Nicaraguans took advantage of the Miss Universe win as a rare opportunity to celebrate in the streets.
- Their use of the blue-and-white national flag, as opposed to Ortega’s red-and-black Sandinista banner, didn’t sit well with the government.
The protests were violently repressed, and human rights officials say 355 people were killed by government forces. Ortega claimed the protests were an attempted coup with foreign backing, aiming for his overthrow. His opponents said Nicaraguans were protesting his increasingly repressive rule and seemingly endless urge to hold on to power.
A statement by the National Police claimed Celebertti “participated actively, on the internet and in the streets in the terrorist actions of a failed coup,” an apparent reference to the 2018 protests.
Celebertti apparently slipped through the hands of police after she was reportedly denied permission to enter the country a few days ago. But some local media reported that her son and husband had been taken into custody.
Celebertti, her husband and son face charges of “treason to the motherland.” They have not spoken publicly about the charges against them.
Related Coverage Miss Nicaragua Sheynnis Palacios wins Miss Universe crown Nicaragua’s Miss Universe title win exposes deep political divide in the Central American country El Salvador’s Miss Universe pageant drawing attention at crucial moment for presidentCelebertti “remained in contact with the traitors, and offered to employ the franchises, platforms and spaces supposedly used to promote ‘innocent’ beauty pageants, in a conspiracy orchestrated to convert the contests into traps and political ambushes financed by foreign agents,” according to the statement.
It didn’t help that many ordinary Nicaraguans — who are largely forbidden to protest or carry the national flag in marches — took advantage of the Miss Universe win as a rare opportunity to celebrate in the streets.
FILE - Nicaragua’s President Daniel Ortega and his wife, Vice President Rosario Murillo, lead a rally in Managua, Nicaragua, Sept. 6, 2018. (AP Photo/Alfredo Zuniga, File)
Their use of the blue-and-white national flag, as opposed to Ortega’s red-and-black Sandinista banner, further angered the government, who claimed the plotters “would take to the streets again in December, in a repeat of history’s worst chapter of vileness.”
Just five days after Palacio’s win, Vice President and First Lady Rosario Murillo was lashing out at opposition social media sites (many run from exile) that celebrated Palacios’ win as a victory for the opposition.
“In these days of a new victory, we are seeing the evil, terrorist commentators making a clumsy and insulting attempt to turn what should be a beautiful and well-deserved moment of pride into destructive coup-mongering,” Murillo said.
Ortega’s government seized and closed the Jesuit University of Central America in Nicaragua, which was a hub for 2018 protests against the Ortega regime, along with at least 26 other Nicaraguan universities.
The government has also outlawed or closed more than 3,000 civic groups and non-governmental organizations, arrested and expelled opponents, stripped them of their citizenship and confiscated their assets. Thousands have fled into exile.
Palacios, who became the first Nicaraguan to win Miss Universe, has not commented on the situation.
During the contest, Palacios, 23, said she wants to work to promote mental health after suffering debilitating bouts of anxiety herself. She also said she wants to work to close the salary gap between the genders.
But on a since-deleted Facebook account under her name, Palacios posted photos of herself at a protest, writing she had initially been afraid of participating. “I didn’t know whether to go, I was afraid of what might happen.”
Some who attended the march that day recall seeing the tall, striking Palacios there.
veryGood! (55)
Related
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Shohei Ohtani’s Dodgers deal prompts California controller to ask Congress to cap deferred payments
- South Carolina Republican agenda includes energy resilience, gender care, Black history and guns
- Border Patrol, Mexico's National Guard ramp up efforts to curb illegal border crossings
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- 'The impacts are real': New satellite images show East Coast sinking faster than we thought
- Hezbollah fires rockets at Israel in response to killing of top Hamas leader
- Are Meryl Streep and Martin Short Dating? His Rep Says...
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Wisconsin judge rules that absentee voting van used in 2022 was illegal
Ranking
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Before a door plug flew off a Boeing plane, an advisory light came on 3 times
- Mel Brooks, Angela Bassett to get honorary Oscars at starry, untelevised event
- 'The impacts are real': New satellite images show East Coast sinking faster than we thought
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- The best TV of early 2024: Here's what to watch in January
- Former President Clinton, House members mourn former Texas Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson at funeral
- Rob Lowe gets an 'embarrassing amount' of sleep: Here are his tips to stay youthful
Recommendation
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Australia bans Nazi salute, swastika, other hate symbols in public as antisemitism spikes
Biden courts critical Black voters in South Carolina, decrying white supremacy
Ex-UK Post Office boss gives back a royal honor amid fury over her role in wrongful convictions
Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
Will the feds block a grocery megamerger? Kroger and Albertsons will soon find out
Former Michigan staffer Connor Stalions breaks silence after Wolverines win national title
Stop Right Now and Read Victoria Beckham’s Birthday Note to “Loving Daughter in Law” Nicola Peltz Beckham