Current:Home > NewsLongtime umpire Ángel Hernández retires. He unsuccessfully sued MLB for racial discrimination -FutureFinance
Longtime umpire Ángel Hernández retires. He unsuccessfully sued MLB for racial discrimination
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 05:27:58
NEW YORK (AP) — Longtime umpire Ángel Hernández,ÁngelHerná who unsuccessfully sued Major League Baseball for racial discrimination, is retiring immediately.
During a career that lasted more than three decades, the 62-year-old Hernández was often scorned by players, managers and fans for missed calls and quick ejections — some in high-profile situations.
Hernández issued a statement through MLB on Monday night saying he has decided he wants to spend more time with his family.
“Starting with my first major league game in 1991, I have had the very good experience of living out my childhood dream of umpiring in the major leagues. There is nothing better than working at a profession that you enjoy. I treasured the camaraderie of my colleagues and the friendships I have made along the way, including our locker room attendants in all the various cities,” Hernández said.
“Needless to say, there have been many positive changes in the game of baseball since I first entered the profession. This includes the expansion and promotion of minorities. I am proud that I was able to be an active participant in that goal while being a major league umpire.”
Last summer, Hernández lost for a second time in his racial discrimination lawsuit against MLB when a federal appeals court refused to reinstate his case. The 2nd Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals upheld a 2021 District Court decision that granted MLB a summary judgment.
Hernández sued in 2017. He alleged he was discriminated against because he had not been assigned to the World Series since 2005 and had been passed over for crew chief. He served as an interim crew chief from 2011-16.
“Hernández has failed to establish a statistically significant disparity between the promotion rates of white and minority umpires,” the 2nd Circuit said in an 11-page decision. “MLB has provided persuasive expert evidence demonstrating that, during the years at issue, the difference in crew chief promotion rates between white and minority umpires was not statistically significant. Hernández offers no explanation as to why MLB’s statistical evidence is unreliable.”
Hernández was sidelined by a back injury last season until July 31. This year he was behind the plate eight times, including for his final game May 9 between the Cleveland Guardians and Chicago White Sox.
USA Today and ESPN, each citing an anonymous source, reported Hernández reached a settlement to leave MLB. USA Today reported the sides spent the last two weeks negotiating a financial settlement before coming to an agreement this past weekend.
Born in Cuba, Hernández was hired as a big league umpire in 1993. He worked two World Series (2002, 2005), three All-Star Games (1999, 2009, 2017) and eight League Championship Series, with his last LCS assignment coming in 2016.
In Game 3 of the 2018 AL Division Series between the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox, Hernández had three calls at first base overturned on video replay reviews.
___
AP Baseball Writer Ronald Blum contributed to this report.
___
AP MLB: https://apnews.com/hub/mlb
veryGood! (495)
Related
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- The Radical Case for Growing Huge Swaths of Bamboo in North America
- Why Chris Pratt and Katherine Schwarzenegger’s Wedding Anniversary Was Also a Parenting Milestone
- Celebrate Pride Month & Beyond With These Rainbow Fashion & Beauty Essentials
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Zendaya Sets the Record Straight on Claim She Was Denied Entry to Rome Restaurant
- Norfolk Wants to Remake Itself as Sea Level Rises, but Who Will Be Left Behind?
- Charlize Theron, Tracee Ellis Ross and More Support Celeb Hairstylist Johnnie Sapong After Brain Surgery
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- This Review of Kim Kardashian in American Horror Story Isn't the Least Interesting to Read
Ranking
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Drive-by shooting on D.C. street during Fourth of July celebrations wounds 9
- Annual Report Card Marks Another Disastrous Year for the Arctic
- Emails Reveal U.S. Justice Dept. Working Closely with Oil Industry to Oppose Climate Lawsuits
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Andy Cohen Reveals the Raquel Leviss Moment That Got Cut From Vanderpump Rules' Reunion
- Charlize Theron, Tracee Ellis Ross and More Support Celeb Hairstylist Johnnie Sapong After Brain Surgery
- A Seven-Mile Gas Pipeline Outside Albany Has Activists up in Arms
Recommendation
Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
In California, a Warming Climate Will Help a Voracious Pest—and Hurt the State’s Almonds, Walnuts and Pistachios
From Kristin Davis to Kim Cattrall, Look Back at Stars' Most Candid Plastic Surgery Confessions
Anthony Anderson & Cedric the Entertainer Share the Father's Day Gift Ideas Dad Really Wants
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
Kristin Davis Shares Where She Stands on Kim Cattrall Drama Amid Her And Just Like That Return
Shooting leaves 3 dead, 6 wounded at July Fourth celebration in Shreveport, Louisiana
As Extreme Weather Batters America’s Farm Country, Costing Billions, Banks Ignore the Financial Risks of Climate Change