Current:Home > NewsOregon Elections Division shuts down phone lines after barrage of calls prompted by false claims -FutureFinance
Oregon Elections Division shuts down phone lines after barrage of calls prompted by false claims
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 19:53:01
SALEM, Ore. (AP) — The Oregon Secretary of State Elections Division on Thursday shut down its phone lines following a barrage of calls from people responding to false claims that the state’s voters pamphlet does not include Republican nominee Donald Trump.
The voter’s pamphlet does list the former president as a candidate and notes that he declined to provide a statement about why people should vote for him. Trump will appear on the state’s ballot.
A post on X from the conservative account Libs of TikTok last week falsely claimed Trump wasn’t included in the voters pamphlet and asked, “What’s going on?” The Oregon GOP issued a statement noting that the decision not to provide a statement was a choice that Trump’s campaign made earlier this year.
But the false claim suggesting election interference continued to spread on social media, and on Thursday, the Elections Division said its phone lines had been overwhelmed.
“Oregonians who need assistance will now have to wait because some individuals operating in bad faith are misleading people online,” Secretary of State LaVonne Griffin-Valade said in a news release. “Spreading rumors and false claims of election interference does nothing to help Oregonians.”
veryGood! (4742)
Related
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Maui wildfires: More than 100 people on unaccounted for list say they're OK
- Arleen Sorkin, 'incredibly talented' voice of Harley Quinn, 'Days of Our Lives' star, dies at 67
- The Ukraine war, propaganda-style, is coming to Russian movie screens. Will people watch?
- The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
- Biden and Harris will meet with King’s family on 60th anniversary of the March on Washington
- Kentucky high school teens charged with terroristic threats after TikTok challenge
- Bad Bunny Leaves Little to the Imagination in Nude Selfie
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Ryan Preece provides wildest Daytona highlight, but Ryan Blaney is alive and that's huge
Ranking
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Inter Miami vs. New York Red Bulls recap: Messi scores electric goal in 2-0 victory
- Verstappen eyes ninth straight F1 win after another Dutch GP pole. Norris second fastest
- NASCAR driver Ryan Preece released from hospital after scary, multi-flip crash at Daytona
- Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
- How Simone Biles separated herself from the competition with mastery of one skill
- NASCAR driver Ryan Preece gets medical clearance to return home after terrifying crash at Daytona
- ‘He knew we had it in us’: Bernice King talks father Martin Luther King Jr.’s enduring ‘dream’
Recommendation
Romantasy reigns on spicy BookTok: Recommendations from the internet’s favorite genre
Bob Barker, longtime The Price Is Right host, dies at 99
American Airlines fined $4.1 million for dozens of long tarmac delays that trapped passengers
Video shows rest of old I-74 bridge over Mississippi River removed by explosives
Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
'DWTS' judge Derek Hough marries partner Hayley Erbert in fairytale redwood forest wedding
Keke Palmer celebrates birthday with 'partner in crime' Darius Jackson after Las Vegas controversy
Jacksonville, Florida, shooter who killed 3 people identified