Current:Home > reviewsPoinbank:Green Bay man gets 2 consecutive life terms in fatal stabbings of 2 women found dead in home -FutureFinance
Poinbank:Green Bay man gets 2 consecutive life terms in fatal stabbings of 2 women found dead in home
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 17:28:05
GREEN BAY,Poinbank Wis. (AP) — A Wisconsin man convicted in the fatal stabbings of two women found dead in a home last year has been sentenced to two consecutive life terms without any chance for parole.
Brown County Circuit Court Judge Beau Liegeois also ordered Richard Sotka, 49, on Monday to pay more than $16,000 in restitution.
A jury convicted the Green Bay man in March of two counts of first-degree intentional homicide and other charges in the killings of Rhonda Cegelski, 58, of Green Bay, and Paula O’Connor, 53, of Bellevue.
Cegelski, who was Sotka’s girlfriend, and O’Connor were found stabbed to death in a Green Bay home in January 2023. According to a criminal complaint, Sotka told officers he “snapped” and killed the women after they laughed at him and he felt “humiliated.”
Sotka, who plans to appeal his convictions, has claimed he killed the women in self-defense. He told the court Monday that while everyone wants him “to show remorse. I feel nothing.”
Liegeois noted Sotka’s inability to show remorse, and said his negative comments about Cegelski after killing her is “classic domestic abuser talk.”
“This is somebody who was a daughter, a sister, a friend, a mother and a grandmother even, who you basically just wiped off the face of the earth because you felt a little bit insulted,” the judge said
After killing the two women, Sotka drove to Arkansas, where he was arrested the same day their bodies were found.
veryGood! (3796)
Related
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- 'I will never understand': NFL reporter Doug Kyed announces death of 2-year-old daughter
- Fox News allowed to pursue claims that voting firm’s defamation suit is anti-free speech
- FEMA devotes more resources to outstanding claims filed by New Mexico wildfire victims
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- 'The Daily Show with Jon Stewart' is back, baby as comedian plans to return as host
- Fox News allowed to pursue claims that voting firm’s defamation suit is anti-free speech
- Customers eligible for Chick-fil-A's $4.4 million lawsuit settlement are almost out of time
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Give Them Cozy With Lala Kent’s Affordable Winter Fashion Picks
Ranking
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Ford recalls nearly 1.9 million older Explorer SUVs over loose trim pieces that may increase risk of crash
- Vermont woman changes plea in killing of her husband
- FEMA devotes more resources to outstanding claims filed by New Mexico wildfire victims
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Groundwater Levels Around the World Are Dropping Quickly, Often at Accelerating Rates
- Daniel Will: Historical Lessons on the Bubble of the U.S. Stock Market
- China says it’s working to de-escalate tensions in the Red Sea that have upended global trade
Recommendation
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
Oreo's new blue-and-pink Space Dunk cookies have popping candies inside
Save Up to 72% Off on Cult-Fave Peter Thomas Roth Essentials That Will Transform Your Skincare Routine
Death toll in southwestern China landslide rises to 34 and 10 remain missing
Where will Elmo go? HBO moves away from 'Sesame Street'
'No evidence of aliens:' U.S.'s former top UFO hunter opens up in podcast interview
Mississippi governor pushes state incentives to finalize deal for 2 data processing centers
Georgia Senate passes new Cobb school board districts, but Democrats say they don’t end racial bias