Current:Home > NewsWhat caused the AT&T outage? Company's initial review says it wasn't a cyberattack -FutureFinance
What caused the AT&T outage? Company's initial review says it wasn't a cyberattack
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 05:56:09
Many AT&T customers were left without cellphone service Thursday thanks to a widespread outage that began in the early morning and lasted until roughly 3 p.m. ET, when the company confirmed it had restored service to affected customers.
Following the incident, AT&T and federal organizations are investigating the cause of the disruption, assessing the possibility of a cyberattack. AT&T has since completed an initial review, though it says it will continue to look into the issue to prevent future occurrences.
Here's what we know so far about the cause of the AT&T outage.
How to prepare:AT&T outage just a preview of what can happen when cell service goes out
What caused the AT&T outage?
An initial review by the company found the disruption was caused by the "application and execution of an incorrect process used as we were expanding our network," or, more simply put, a technical error.
AT&T said it was continuing its assessment of the matter as of Thursday night.
Was the AT&T outage a cyberattack?
According to a statement posted by AT&T Thursday evening, the network outage was not the result of a cyberattack.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) partnered with AT&T to launch an investigation into the outages into the possibility of an attack.
The White House's national security communications adviser John Kirby said Thursday afternoon, “We're being told that AT&T has no reason to think that this was a cyber-security incident. But again, I want to be careful. We won't know until an investigation has been completed.”
When was the AT&T outage fixed?
AT&T customers first began experiencing service disruptions on Thursday in the early morning hours. Between 8 and 9 a.m. ET, more than 70,000 AT&T customers were reporting outages, according to Downdetector, a tracking site that relies on user submissions.
The company did not officially confirm the number of customers affected.
AT&T put out a statement at 11:15 a.m. ET, saying it had restored service to three-fourths of impacted customers. Another statement released at 3:10 p.m. confirmed that service was back online for all affected customers.
veryGood! (427)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Another Braves calamity: Austin Riley has broken hand, out for rest of regular season
- Value meal wars heat up as more fast food spots, restaurants offer discounted menu items
- Chappell Roan Calls Out Entitled Fans for Harassing and Stalking Her
- NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
- Fantasy football draft cheat sheet: Top players for 2024, ranked by position
- New Jersey Sen. Bob Menendez will resign from Senate after bribery convictions
- Wisconsin woman who argued she legally killed sex trafficker gets 11 years in prison
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Nebraska’s special legislative session is high on conflict, low on progress to ease property taxes
Ranking
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- MLB power rankings: World Series repeat gets impossible for Texas Rangers
- Over 165,000 pounds of Perdue chicken nuggets and tenders recalled after metal wire found
- 3 things to do if you're worried about having too little saved for retirement
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Fantasy football rankings for 2024: Niners' Christian McCaffrey back on top
- Taylor Swift asks production for help during 'Champagne Problems'
- Court orders 4 Milwaukee men to stand trial in killing of man outside hotel lobby
Recommendation
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Maker of prepared meals will hire 300 new workers in $6 million Georgia expansion
South Carolina sheriff who told deputy to shock inmate is found not guilty in civil rights case
These Lululemon Under $50 Finds Include $39 Align Leggings & More Styles That Reviewers Call “Super Cute”
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Georgia sheriff’s deputy shot while serving a search warrant
Maker of prepared meals will hire 300 new workers in $6 million Georgia expansion
Second jailer to plead guilty in Alabama inmate’s hypothermia death