Current:Home > FinanceFrench government says 9 people detained after violent attack on Lyon soccer team buses -FutureFinance
French government says 9 people detained after violent attack on Lyon soccer team buses
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-06 18:41:13
PARIS (AP) — French police have detained nine people and are searching for other suspects after a violent attack on buses carrying the Lyon soccer team and fans left coach Fabio Grosso with a head injury and forced the postponement of its game at Marseille, the interior minister said Monday.
Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin said on BFM television that five police officers were also injured in the attack Sunday night, which drew nationwide attention amid concerns about soccer violence.
“Shame and Disgust,” was the headline on l’Equipe newspaper’s front page, with a picture of Grosso’s bloodied face.
However, it’s unlikely the attack will lead to disciplinary sanctions against the nine-time French champions.
Since it took place outside the Velodrome stadium, responsibility lies with public authorities and not with the club. The case has been taken over by a French league committee in charge of scheduling competitions, and not by the discipline commission.
The team bus was hit on the way to the Stade Velodrome, shattering some windows. Grosso was injured by falling shards of glass and needed medical treatment with his face bleeding heavily. Lyon assistant coach Raffaele Longo was also injured. Buses carrying Lyon fans were also attacked.
Grosso suffered a deep cut above his left eye that required stitches and had a large bandage wrapped around his head.
The attack was been widely commented in media outside France and comes at a very bad time for the French league amid negotiations for the sale of its TV rights abroad. Earlier this month, the auction for the domestic broadcast rights for the 2024-2029 period was cancelled after the league failed to attract bids meeting the minimum price set.
FIFA president Gianni Infantino said on Instagram that “there is absolutely no place for violence in soccer, on or off the pitch” and called on “the competent authorities to ensure that the appropriate measures are taken.”
“Without exception, in soccer, all players, coaches and fans must be safe to enjoy our sport,” Infantino said. He added a picture of Grosso with a bandage on his face, with the message ”Forza Fabio.”
Sports Minister Amelia Oudea-Castera called for a ‘’global response’’ and said the French league, the teams and fan groups should all take responsibility. Speaking Monday on France-2 television, she called for tougher restrictions on troublemakers.
She and Darmanin defended police protection for the Lyon team even though the measures weren’t enough to prevent the attack.
Marseille president Pablo Longoria said the attack was unacceptable and the club wished Grosso a speedy recovery.
“Because of a handful of thoughtless people, tonight’s party was spoiled and 65,000 fans were deprived of attending a soccer match,” the club said.
The atmosphere has long been tense between the teams, notably since fans from Marseille and Lyon fought in a violent brawl 10 years ago that left 17 injured.
Both clubs have been under pressure lately. Marseille is still showing poor form with one win and three losses in its last four league games, and Lyon is the only team still winless in the league.
___
AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer
veryGood! (713)
Related
- 'Most Whopper
- Stock market today: Asian shares mostly decline after Wall Street drops on higher bond yields
- Search underway for Nashville couple missing for a week on Alaska vacation
- Natural history museum closes because of chemicals in taxidermy collection
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Emergency services chief on Maui resigns. He faced criticism for not activating sirens during fire
- 'Motivated by insatiable greed': Miami real estate agent who used PPP funds on Bentley sentenced
- Maryland reports locally acquired malaria case for first time in more than 40 years
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Shannon Sharpe joining 'First Take' alongside Stephen A. Smith this fall, per report
Ranking
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Court tosses Jan. 6 sentence in ruling that could impact other low-level Capitol riot cases
- Florida mother and daughter caretakers sentenced for stealing more than $500k from elderly patient
- Hilary could be the first tropical storm to hit California in more than 80 years
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Don't pay federal student loans? As pause lifts, experts warn against boycotting payments
- Uber, Lyft say they'll leave Minneapolis if rideshare minimum wage ordinance passes. Here's why.
- Succession Actress Crystal Finn Details Attack by Otters
Recommendation
Sam Taylor
Corporate DEI initiatives are facing cutbacks and legal attacks
Biden will again host leaders at Camp David, GA grand jurors doxxed: 5 Things podcast
Pink Shows Support for Britney Spears Amid Sam Asghari Divorce
Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
Maui emergency chief resigns following criticism of wildfire response
What Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey's Marriage Was Like on Newlyweds—and in Real Life
Indiana Republican Chairman Kyle Hupfer announces resignation after 6.5 years at helm