Current:Home > ScamsChainkeen|UN will repatriate 9 South African peacekeepers in Congo accused of sexual assault -FutureFinance
Chainkeen|UN will repatriate 9 South African peacekeepers in Congo accused of sexual assault
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 18:22:53
LAGOS,Chainkeen Nigeria (AP) — The United Nations said it will repatriate nine peacekeepers from a South African contingent in eastern Congo who were accused of sexual assault and other abuse.
The U.N. decided to immediately repatriate the peacekeepers and a senior officer of the South African army “due to the seriousness of the allegations against them,” the organization said in a statement on Friday.
The senior officer allegedly tried to hinder a probe into the allegations and threatened other peacekeepers. Two other indicted senior officers will also be replaced, the U.N. said.
More than 12,000 U.N. peacekeepers are deployed in eastern Congo, where more than 100 armed groups are active.
The U.N. said its preliminary assessment found that the nine peacekeepers were “fraternizing after curfew hours” in prohibited bars where prostitution takes place. The soldiers were also alleged to have assaulted staff of the peacekeeping mission and the military police who were trying to arrest them, the statement added.
South African authorities have indicated their “full cooperation, in particular through the deployment of a national investigator,” the U.N. said, promising that victims would be assisted and that the peacekeeping mission would remain committed to upholding U.N. standards.
Such accusations of sexual abuse by U.N. peacekeepers are not new in various parts of the world, from Congo to Haiti where peacekeepers are deployed. The victims in many instances are children.
The abuses are particularly rampant in Congo, which accounted for one-third of the nearly 2,000 sexual abuse and exploitation complaints made against the U.N. worldwide in 2017.
The U.N. has also been accused of not doing enough in handling such allegations. Last year, Secretary-General António Guterres said the organization has “not succeeded in all respects, but neither have we stood still” in handling the sexual abuse crisis.
veryGood! (9848)
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- DNC to raise billboards in Times Square, across U.S. to highlight abortion rights a year after Roe v. Wade struck down
- Court Orders New Climate Impact Analysis for 4 Gigantic Coal Leases
- Bruce Willis' 9-Year-Old Daughter Is Researching Dementia Amid Dad's Health Journey
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- T3 24-Hour Deal: Get 76% Off Curling Irons, Hair Dryers, and Flat Irons
- One way to prevent gun violence? Treat it as a public health issue
- U.S. Military Bases Face Increasingly Dangerous Heat as Climate Changes, Report Warns
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Climate Change Threatens a Giant of West Virginia’s Landscape, and It’s Rippling Through Ecosystems and Lives
Ranking
- Have Dry, Sensitive Skin? You Need To Add These Gentle Skincare Products to Your Routine
- The History of Ancient Hurricanes Is Written in Sand and Mud
- Jeff Bezos and Lauren Sanchez Are Engaged
- Lily-Rose Depp Makes Rare Comment About Dad Johnny Depp Amid Each of Their Cannes Premieres
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- As conservative states target trans rights, a Florida teen flees for a better life
- The Year Ahead in Clean Energy: No Big Laws, but a Little Bipartisanship
- Lily-Rose Depp Makes Rare Comment About Dad Johnny Depp Amid Each of Their Cannes Premieres
Recommendation
Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
First U.S. Nuclear Power Closures in 15 Years Signal Wider Problems for Industry
Jeff Bezos and Lauren Sanchez Are Engaged
Montana House votes to formally punish transgender lawmaker, Rep. Zooey Zephyr
Finally, good retirement news! Southwest pilots' plan is a bright spot, experts say
Blake Shelton Gets in One Last Dig at Adam Levine Before Exiting The Voice
How abortion ban has impacted Mississippi one year after Roe v. Wade was overturned
Pro-DeSantis PAC airs new ad focused on fight with Disney, woke culture